Silver Ri

Baking By deetmar Updated 12 Aug 2009 , 5:28pm by cylstrial

deetmar Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 3:26pm
post #1 of 10

I have a client that wants "foot" cookies that are silver, with orange toenail polish. How do I get the silver? I didn't know if I should put NuSilver in the RI, go ahead and put white silver RI on the cookie, then then airbrush silver on, or just what to do. Any ideas?

Thanks

9 replies
DianeLM Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 4:04pm
post #2 of 10

Whatever you do, DO NOT mix your silver luster dust into your RI. You'll wind up with a grey, speckled mess and a huge waste of $$$.

You can tint your RI grey and flood the cookie. When it dries, paint or airbrush with a mixture of silver luster dust and alcohol.

The only problem I foresee is getting the nailpolish on. You can't really paint over dry luster dust. Nothing sticks to it.

I, personally, would mix my luster dust with confectioners glaze before painting it on the cookie. Once dry, you can add anything you want to the surface. However, some decorators object to the use of confectioners glaze because technically, it's labelled 'not edible'. We eat it all the time with no ill effects.

deetmar Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 6:22pm
post #3 of 10

So I should go ahead and make grey RI but adding a bit of black to the white? Gosh am I having a bad day icon_cry.gif You would have thought I would have known that, DUH!

Thanks for the help.

DianeLM Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 6:39pm
post #4 of 10

I know how you feel. I get that cake-anxiety-brain-freeze, too. icon_smile.gif

Yes, just a touch of black to the white to make grey. This is just in case you miss a spot with the silver, or if some accidentally rubs off. It won't leave a noticeable white spot.

mcdonald Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 7:36pm
post #5 of 10

I have those brain lapses all the time!!! You are not alone!!!

linstead Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 7:53pm
post #6 of 10

I'd cover the cookies in fondant and the spray them with the canned silver luster dust and then you can either paint on the toenails or make them out of orange fondant.

DianeLM Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 8:56pm
post #7 of 10

I haven't tried the canned spray yet. When the propellant evaporates, does the dust come off, like when it's mixed with alcohol? That's the whole problem painting or attaching fondant to luster dust, unless it's mixed with a glaze. It's like trying to glue something to dry sand. icon_sad.gif

linstead Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 12:29am
post #8 of 10

I haven't had problems with that - if you do it when the fondant is not dry then using the luster dust will usually stick well - can also just brush on the dry dust.

DianeLM Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 1:55pm
post #9 of 10

I don't mean the dust sticking to the base fondant...

I mean, when it's time to apply the toenail polish. Will the nail polish 'paint' stick to the silver? Or will it smear?

Or, if the nail polish is applied as pieces of fondant, will whatever is used for glue (piping gel, royal icing, gum glue) stick to the silver? Or will it smear off?

See the stars on the pic below? I had one miserable time trying to paint the names on them after applying the silver.
LL

cylstrial Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 5:28pm
post #10 of 10

I start with gray RI. Then I mix silver luster dust with everclear and paint it on the cookies.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%