How Should I Make This Image?

Decorating By Cakey Updated 24 Aug 2009 , 11:00pm by LittleLinda

Cakey Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 3:11pm
post #1 of 8

I am doing a pirate-themed cake with this skull and two swords crossed in fondant:

I just need some help on how I make the black details. Do I (A) cut out the white fondant and just lay it on top of the black fondant, piecing it together, or (B) do I cut out black pieces of fondant to put in between the white pieces so it's all one level, if you KWIM? I guess (A) would be easiest but I'm just wondering if it will look bad. Any suggestions?

7 replies
minicuppie Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 3:24pm
post #2 of 8

I would cut out white to lay on black....but wonder if the black would show thru. Maybe paint the back of white pieces with white RI to "seal" it.

LittleLinda Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 11:32pm
post #3 of 8

Never did this, just guessing: What if you roll out a piece of black fondant and a piece of white fondant and lay one on top of the other. Your cutting must be very good to cut through both layers. Now, pull all the pieces out and interchange them like a puzzle between white and black. you'll have enough to do a black on white and a white on black.

Cakey Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 2:40pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks, ladies. I decided to just do it in buttercream because my fondant capabilities are pretty narrow. I'm just going to print it out and lay it on top of the cake, trace the pattern by making pinholes, and then fill with buttercream stars. It will be much easier for me that way!

LittleLinda Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 2:56pm
post #5 of 8

Instead of pinholes, make a paper stencil. Take a craft knife or small blade. Put your printout on a flattened cereal box or something you can scratch up. Trace the pattern with the knife ... don't cut it out comepletely, stop cutting and eighth inch before every cross section. Then place the stencil on the crusted buttercream and gently press with a toothpick near the slits to force the paper down enough into the BC to make an impression. Lift off the paper and your image will be on the cake ready to outline with frosting.

MrsMabe Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 3:33pm
post #6 of 8

What about a FBCT or a chocolate transfer?

Cakey Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 6:03pm
post #7 of 8

Awesome tip, Little Linda! I think I'll do that.

I tried a FBCT before and failed miserably so I'm afraid to try again because I need to finish this cake by tomorrow night and I only have a couple of hours at night to work on it tonight and tomorrow. And I have no experience with a chocolate transfer either so that scares me, too. I need lots of practice time with both of those techniques because I really want to learn them and I think they look great. The stars are all I know right now and I'm pinched for time.

LittleLinda Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 11:00pm
post #8 of 8

So Cakey, how did it turn out?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%