Crumb Coat Question

Decorating By Lcubed82 Updated 11 Aug 2009 , 7:26pm by __Jamie__

Lcubed82 Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 1:42pm
post #1 of 9

How thick a layer of buttercream do you use under fondant? I have a thin crumb coat on, and wonder do I need to add mor BC?
Thanks!

8 replies
jardot22 Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 1:44pm
post #2 of 9

I just use a thin crumb coat under my fondant. Whenever I try to use more, it ends up squishing out the bottom from the weight of the fondant. But I know many people use a thicker coat - I just haven't had luck with it myself icon_smile.gif

Shelly4481 Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 1:52pm
post #3 of 9

i do a little thicker than the crumbcoat, get it pretty smooth and put in fridge before i put on the fondant, that way the frosting is not so soft and doesn't move around.

jardot22 Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 1:56pm
post #4 of 9

I'm not sure where my problem is with buttercream squishing out the bottom - I even freeze my cake for 10 minutes before putting the fondant on to make sure it's a firm surface...but as it comes to room temperature i guess it just begins to soften up underneath and moves towards the bottom if i have anything thicker than a crumb coat. I even use all-shortening buttercream and it still happens...oh well!

CakeandDazzle Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 2:28pm
post #5 of 9

im not sure but does an all shortening bc get hard??? I use SMBC on all my cakes and i do a crumb coat, fridge, the i ice like any normal cake, fridge again then cover with fondant... smbc in the fridge gets rock hard like butter, so it doesnt get mushy at all....
maybe try this??
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=633264&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=fondant&&start=0

jardot22 Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 2:33pm
post #6 of 9

Oh yes I am definitely wanting to try out the ganache soon. I've wanted to, but I don't want to spend the extra $$ when I'm not making it on my cakes yet! icon_smile.gif Thanks for the tips though CakeAndDazzle!

cakesalot13 Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 6:33pm
post #7 of 9

Be careful- if you put the crumb coated cake in the freezer, as it starts to get to room temp, with the fondant on, the cake will sweat, and that affects the fondant... don't ask me how i know... I just do.

jardot22 Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 6:36pm
post #8 of 9

Cakesalot13, you're right about the condensation - my cakes do this, however, if you just let it sit for a few hours, or put it by a fan, it will evaporate quickly and be just fine. You just can't touch it while it's damp from the condensation, or you will leave marks on the fondant. Same thing happens when you refrigerate fondant covered cakes.

__Jamie__ Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 7:26pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jardot22

Cakesalot13, you're right about the condensation - my cakes do this, however, if you just let it sit for a few hours, or put it by a fan, it will evaporate quickly and be just fine. You just can't touch it while it's damp from the condensation, or you will leave marks on the fondant. Same thing happens when you refrigerate fondant covered cakes.

Bingo. I can't remember the last time I didn't store a fondant covered cake in the fridge.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%