What Is Everyone's Favorite Summertime Cake Recipe?

Baking By cherrycakes Updated 29 Aug 2009 , 4:45am by amytracy1981

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 1:23pm
post #1 of 21

I'd love to try a summertime cake recipe for a family event coming up. Any favorites? Thanks!!

20 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 3:38pm
post #2 of 21

Coconut cake with pineapple filling is my summertime favorite.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 4:02pm
post #3 of 21

Strawberry cake with sliced fresh strawberries in the buttercream between the layers. Yum!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Strawberry-Cake-from-Scratch/Detail.aspx

cherrycakes Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 12:41pm
post #4 of 21

Thanks for the suggestions! Theresa, you got me thinking about tropical flavours - I'm not a huge coconut fan but we're putting on a going away party for my husband's nephew who is moving to Bermuda for work so a tropical flavour would be perfect!

I'll also have to look into the strawberry recipe for my daughter's bday in Sept. as we're going with a Strawberry Shortcake theme!

Any other suggestions?? Thanks!

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 9:49pm
post #5 of 21

I really like my Margarita cake. It is very light and delicate and great for spring and summer events.

kaseynh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaseynh Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 10:05pm
post #6 of 21

All time favorite is lemonade cake with lemonade icing. Very light and refreshing!

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 1:33pm
post #7 of 21

It's not a decorated cake.. but I love it in the summer time!

Hot Fudge Cake!!!! It bakes into a fudge/pudding like layer and a cake layer ontop. It's heaven with ice cream icon_smile.gif

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Hot-Fudge-Cake/Detail.aspx

tiggerjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggerjo Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 1:51pm
post #8 of 21

Our family favorite is:
1 angel food cake....torted

frosting:
1 12 ounce cool whip
3/4 jar carmel ice cream topping
fold together, frost cake. use remaining carmel to drip over top of cake and sprinkle top with a crushed heath bar.

that is the original recipe..I make my own cake and use a shaved hershey bar.

Fat Free except for the candy bar

mjk350 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjk350 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 1:53pm
post #9 of 21

kaseynh, where could I find this recipe for lemonade cake and lemonade icing? It sounds delish. icon_smile.gif

kaseynh Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 2:54am
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk350

kaseynh, where could I find this recipe for lemonade cake and lemonade icing? It sounds delish. icon_smile.gif

It is really easy, I use the WASC recipe and add 1/3 cup of lemonade mix (I use Country Time) to the liquid. I also change up the extract, I do not use the almond extract w/this recipe. I sometimes add a little raspberry and or lemon extract with the vanilla extract. For the icing I add about 3 tablespoons of lemonade mix for every pound of confectioners sugar. You can either dissolve it in your liquid before adding or I just add it to my icing w/ the confectioners sugar as it adds a candy like suprise to the icing.

When I add the raspberry extract, I use seedless raspberry jam between the layers along w/the icing. I really creates a refreshing cake.

Enjoy! icon_smile.gif

mjk350 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 3:05am
post #11 of 21

kaseynh: Thanks so much for the recipe. I never had made the WASC recipe but this one does sound so good. Now I will have to give it a try when the weather gets cooler. icon_smile.gif

kaseynh Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 3:30am
post #12 of 21

mjk350, you are welcome. I have been itching to bake but it is so darn hot and humid! I can't wait to turn off the a/c and get some fresh air in here!

cherrycakes Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 3:41am
post #13 of 21

Ah man, you guys are killiing me talking about your heat!! We've had the coldest 6 months on record and it's unbelievably cold and wet right now. So, I'll take some of your heat off your hands!!

JoJo0855 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoJo0855 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 4:03am
post #14 of 21
Quote:
Quote:

I'll also have to look into the strawberry recipe for my daughter's bday in Sept. as we're going with a Strawberry Shortcake theme!

Gee, I hope you preserved some when they were in season! I refuse to buy berries that aren't locally grown and ripened in the sun, the imported ones from the south are dreadful. Pretty, but tasteless!

Having said that, it's a miracle we had them this year, Ontario is still waiting for summer too icon_cry.gif

cherrycakes Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 4:18am
post #15 of 21

Apparently we had a good strawberry season - I missed it somehow icon_sad.gif Let's just hope for a long, warm fall!!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 6:50am
post #16 of 21

Strawberry shortcake. Mmmmmmmmmmm.

mjk350 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 3:47pm
post #17 of 21

kaseynh: I forgot to ask if you used kakeladi's WASC cake recipe and do you mix the raspberry jam in with the icing? icon_smile.gif

luminajd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luminajd Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 12:10am
post #18 of 21

Kaseynh, how yellow does the lemonade mix make the icing? I would love to try this next week but for Wilton class we are supposed to bring a white cake

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 1:21am
post #19 of 21

Coconut cake with lime curd filling. Yum!

cherrycakes Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 4:13am
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieD-oh

Strawberry cake with sliced fresh strawberries in the buttercream between the layers. Yum!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Strawberry-Cake-from-Scratch/Detail.aspx

I just tried this recipe tonight with stabilized whipped cream and fresh strawberries in the layers. It was amazing!! Mu husband even ordered it for his birthday icon_biggrin.gif Thanks for the great recipe!!

amytracy1981 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amytracy1981 Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 4:45am
post #21 of 21
Quote:
Quote:

Ah man, you guys are killiing me talking about your heat!! We've had the coldest 6 months on record and it's unbelievably cold and wet right now. So, I'll take some of your heat off your hands!!

Today the high was 114 degrees here tomorrow 109 degrees! You can have all the heat you want from me. I could use some of your cooler temps.

Anyways, the lemonade cake sounds yummy, I'm going to have to try it. Wonder what it would taste like with strawberries in between the layers? icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%