Do You Give Out Recipes??

Decorating By Rhonda19 Updated 12 Aug 2009 , 1:54pm by indydebi

Rhonda19 Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 1:09pm
post #1 of 34

Do you give out your recipes to family members that are making their own cakes for something. Not to sell... just to make for another family member's party??

I would love to hear your views on your recipes. I am having a bit of a conflict right now, and would to find out your views on this.

Thanks everyone...

33 replies
vickymacd Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 1:21pm
post #2 of 34

I don't have a business nor do I do this for money, but I would have a problem giving it out if this was for my income, family or not.

Right now, I have friends that I bake misc. things for, and they always ask me for the recipe. I usually 'forget' to give it to them knowing they will never make it or being they are not cooks in general, it might not turn out for them. But a person that I know WILL make it and enjoy it, I have no problem giving it to them, especially if it's a recipe they can just look up or google sometimes.

But if you're in the business, I say NO. Family or not. That's your income. Or the old saying, "I can give it to you, but then I'd have to kill you". Ha, ha.

mommicakes Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 1:56pm
post #3 of 34

simple answer: NO.

costumeczar Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 2:24pm
post #4 of 34

No way

indydebi Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 3:08pm
post #5 of 34

In general, no. If they ask for my oatmeal cookie recipe, I shrug and say, "It's on the box." most of the tell me they've made that recipe and theirs doesn't taste as good as mine.

2 cooks .... same recipe ....2 different results. Almost always.

mkm25 Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 3:33pm
post #6 of 34

I have no problem giving people a recipe (not all of them though!) because, like indydebi said, 2 different cooks...2 different results! I find that many people overbake their baked goods so they just aren't as satisfying. There are so many free recipes out there, why should I hoard mine? After all, I got mine for free too...

costumeczar Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 3:49pm
post #7 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkm25

I have no problem giving people a recipe (not all of them though!) because, like indydebi said, 2 different cooks...2 different results! I find that many people overbake their baked goods so they just aren't as satisfying. There are so many free recipes out there, why should I hoard mine? After all, I got mine for free too...

I developed most of mine myself, so I'm saving them for the cookbook! icon_lol.gif

Bonavolonta Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 4:08pm
post #8 of 34

My grandma made me swear at a young age that I would never share her recipes. I still feel uncomfortable saying No when people ask but it's getting easier. I give vague answers sometimes too. Like Oh, I found it on foodnetwork.com, or I just use the recipe on the back of the bag. If everyone made your amazing cakes, they wouldn't be "yours" anymore. And they wouldn't be as special. Maybe you could tell the family members that you won't give the recipe out, but offer to help them?

mtaccts Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 4:14pm
post #9 of 34

If its something I found for 'free' (Googled, etc) then I give it for 'free'. If its something I've developed, secret ingredients or techniques then I don't give those out telling them something like 'if I told you then you wouldn't need me anymore" That usually does the trick and they get the hint.

Mensch Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 4:29pm
post #10 of 34

nope.

People ask all the time and some even become angry.

I've developed all my recipes over the years (except for my SMBC.... I just tell people to google that one) and won't give them out.

Mike1394 Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 4:42pm
post #11 of 34

Where would we be as a pastry world if people never shared their recipes? Is any of us as good as Herme, or Payard? I don't think so. LOLOL If they are willing to share who am I to say no to someone who thinks my recipes are good enough they want to try to duplicate.

Mike

Carolynlovescake Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 4:44pm
post #12 of 34

Yes and no.

I give them out if they are public knowledge or if I was handed them with the ok to pass it on.

If I'm asked for one that I created for my business, nope but I do offer something else. It won't be "my" triple chocolate caramel cake recipe" but instead it will be a "chocolate, caramel" recipe from the internet I find.

revel Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 4:48pm
post #13 of 34

I only give them out to my friends on here...lol

lomfise Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 5:09pm
post #14 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtaccts

If its something I found for 'free' (Googled, etc) then I give it for 'free'. If its something I've developed, secret ingredients or techniques then I don't give those out telling them something like 'if I told you then you wouldn't need me anymore" That usually does the trick and they get the hint.

Agreed. If I have spent time and money developing a recipe, then no. It's mine, you can find it the cookbook I will write. Hopefully. Someday. Maybe.

Mensch Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 5:59pm
post #15 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Where would we be as a pastry world if people never shared their recipes? Is any of us as good as Herme, or Payard? I don't think so. LOLOL If they are willing to share who am I to say no to someone who thinks my recipes are good enough they want to try to duplicate.

Mike

When I'm as well-known as Herme and Payard, then, yes, I will most definately write cookbooks and sell them to the general public.

diane Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 6:18pm
post #16 of 34

nope...no way...no sir...no how thumbsdown.gif

idgalpal Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 6:23pm
post #17 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

2 cooks .... same recipe ....2 different results. Almost always.

100% Agree with indydebi.
I don't give out cake related recipes at all, I just send them to the internet.
I've had too many times with non cake recipes where people make the most ridiculous substitutions! Like, oh, I don't like chives, so I substituted bell pepper - icon_eek.gif What the heck! You think because they're both green it will taste the same?!

Mensch Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 6:26pm
post #18 of 34

Lol.... and then they have the cojones to be upset at YOU because their version wasn't as good/the same as yours.

indydebi Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 6:38pm
post #19 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by idgalpal

Like, oh, I don't like chives, so I substituted bell pepper - icon_eek.gif What the heck! You think because they're both green it will taste the same?!

omg, my MOM does that! SHe was making mashed potatoes for dinner one night and discovered she was out of milk. So she put in mayo. What the heck? They're both white! THen WE got in trouble (as little kids) for whining because they tasted funny! It's a standing cooking joke in our family, even 40 years later!

cylstrial Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 9:29pm
post #20 of 34

No way! They aren't getting my recipes. I gave it to one friend and the whole time I just kept thinking, why did I do this?

marknelliesmum Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 10:38pm
post #21 of 34
Quote:
Quote:

"I can give it to you, but then I'd have to kill you".

That's exactly what i say icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif or 'it's an old family secret i couldn't possibly tell you' my MIL ( she doesn't speak to us now AT ALL!) never did get over the fact that i can bake cherry cake without the cherry's sinking to the bottom and she can't or that my gingerbread tasted like ginger but i didn't use fresh ginger - idiot ! know wonder DH disowned her tapedshut.gif My favourite evil streak was to tell her my 'some' recipe especially for banoffi pie ' oh you just mix some... then put in some... and then some...' yeah but how much is some? oh just a dollop icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif is it any wonder she hated me icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I'd share on here of course thumbs_up.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 11:14pm
post #22 of 34

I share my recipes with relatives. Their stuff isn't going to taste as good as mine, so I figure it's no big deal icon_biggrin.gif

The only thing I won't share with my husband's family is the recipe for "pecan balls." I can make them just like his grandma used to, and none of the relatives can find a recipe for them anywhere. It's because they don't know that what they call "pecan balls" the rest of the world calls Mexican Wedding cookies. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

indydebi Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 11:24pm
post #23 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

I share my recipes with relatives. Their stuff isn't going to taste as good as mine, so I figure it's no big deal

YOungest daughter went to her big sister's house for dinner last night. Big sister "tried" to make my chicken 'n dumplins. Youngest daughter came home and said, "Mom, you've GOT to teach her to make your dumplins. Hers are just NOT the same as yours!"

icon_biggrin.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 11:29pm
post #24 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

I share my recipes with relatives. Their stuff isn't going to taste as good as mine, so I figure it's no big deal

YOungest daughter went to her big sister's house for dinner last night. Big sister "tried" to make my chicken 'n dumplins. Youngest daughter came home and said, "Mom, you've GOT to teach her to make your dumplins. Hers are just NOT the same as yours!"

icon_biggrin.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

My sister puts green chilies in everything she makes. Her husband is from New Mexico and she thinks that he likes green chilies in all of his food. And sometimes she makes things that are just plain weird...I gave her my recipe for chicken enchiladas in sour cream sauce and she made it with refried beans, flour tortillas and canned sauce and told everyone she used my recipe....gross!

newmansmom2004 Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 11:45pm
post #25 of 34

Not only "NO", but "HE** NO!" LOL!

I made the mistake once of giving my brother a coveted and closely guarded cookie recipe and he gave it to his girlfriend who was no longer his girlfriend about 6 weeks after I gave him the recipe. She commented after making them that if she ever goes into baking for a living (she does cakes here and there) she'd make a mint from my cookie recipe! AAAAAAAAAAACK!!!!! icon_cry.gif

sugarandslice Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 11:46pm
post #26 of 34

I have no problem sharing any recipe with anyone. I figure if they can get the same enjoyment from cooking it that I do, then I've helped spread a little joy in the world.
icon_biggrin.gif

CakeandDazzle Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 12:14am
post #27 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by revel

I only give them out to my friends on here...lol

Shelle_75 Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 3:27am
post #28 of 34

I showed my recipe for buttercream, which I have changed and tweaked for ten years to get just right, to someone ONCE. The next time they ordered a cake, they wanted me to change my recipe a little bit here and a little bit there, even though they previously raved about it. I decided right then and there that from now on, what's in my recipes gets dished out on a need to know basis, and no one but me needs to know!

Rhonda19 Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 4:11am
post #29 of 34

Thank you everyone for the responses. I don't feel " too " badly about not giving her my recipe. The person that I didn't give it to though, is pretty mad at me right now!!

One day I am hoping to go into business for myself, which is my dream. and that recipe is the main one I use!!

marknelliesmum Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 11:02am
post #30 of 34
Quote:
Quote:

The person that I didn't give it to though, is pretty mad at me right now!!

That's when you know your recipe is really, really good!
x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%