Making Scales For A Fish

Decorating By cakesbytonya Updated 11 Aug 2009 , 1:25pm by MBHazel

cakesbytonya Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 12:43pm
post #1 of 5

Hello everyone, I was hoping if someone could tell me how to make scales for a fish. I have already carved the cake and i am ready to apply the fondant but I am not sure how to do the scale. I thought it was circles cut outs and placed on the cake (that's alot of work). If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. icon_confused.gif

4 replies
-K8memphis Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 12:56pm
post #2 of 5

You could just mark the fresh fondant with little fish scales--like use a pointy stick--just like you would draw them on a piece of paper. Or use a section of a little cookie cutter maybe. Like I use a snowflake cookie cutter for little circle type markings.

Fishy thoughts for you.

cakesbytonya Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 12:59pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you !!!

-K8memphis Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 1:04pm
post #4 of 5

You are welcome and let me say that you will want to quickly proceed to making fish scales after you apply fondant so it is soft and workable. No time delays on that.

Take Care

MBHazel Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 1:25pm
post #5 of 5

In Colette's Cake book she does a fish cake and she does the following:

After marking the gill with a toothpick (in the fondant) she takes a small tip (she suggests a number 4) and using the back of the tip (the open end) she gently presses the back of the tip into the fondant at an angle, to the right of the gill so that you get a half-circle impression. Make a succession of scales along the gill line. For the next line of scales, make the half circles between the first scales. Continue till the body is covered.

MBHazel

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%