Pea Pod Cake Help

Decorating By CakeandDazzle Updated 22 Aug 2009 , 3:07pm by Makeitmemorable

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 12:40pm
post #1 of 9

I have a request for a pea pod cake... you know a #D pod with 3 half ball peas. It has to serve 30 people. I need help with what to charge, and what size pan to cook the pod in to carve and stack. This is my pretty much first carved cake.... Please help!

8 replies
Polkadot79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Polkadot79 Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 3:21pm
post #2 of 9

I've did one Peas in a Pod cake (http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1372631) although I don't think this is what you're referring to. Here's another view of it -- http://maryolivedesigns.blogspot.com. Scroll to May 2009 archives. I can't get this pic to post on CC.

Post a pic once you've finished yours. Good luck!

nsgstdnt10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nsgstdnt10 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 5:16am
post #3 of 9

hey Polkadot79 i saw your cake earlier and i think it's so cute!! how do you make the peas and the pod??

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 5:46am
post #4 of 9

My first choice I think might be an oval pan but you may not have one large enough so I think you could use either a sheet/square/round pan. It would probably help if you cut out a template in the shape of pod and the carve your cake. It's hard to determine size for carved cakes because each person would carve differently but I would definitely pick a pan size that gives you lots of servings so when you cut away you still will have the 30 you need.

Here's Wilton's serving guide:

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

CakeandDazzle Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 3:35pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstitcher

My first choice I think might be an oval pan but you may not have one large enough so I think you could use either a sheet/square/round pan. It would probably help if you cut out a template in the shape of pod and the carve your cake. It's hard to determine size for carved cakes because each person would carve differently but I would definitely pick a pan size that gives you lots of servings so when you cut away you still will have the 30 you need.

Here's Wilton's serving guide:

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

yeah i dont have an oval pan. and the only rectangle pans i do have is a 9x13 and 12x18. do you think a 9x13 will be enough? i mean it serves 50 so carved a bit shouldnt matter....

xstitcher Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 7:33pm
post #6 of 9

What I'd do is make a template put it on the back of the pan and see if you will still have at least 75% of the cake remaining (60% of a 9X13 would be exactly 30 servings but you have to account for any mistakes). It's really hard for me to say yes you'll have enough because I don't know exactly how much of the cake you'll end up carving. If you think you can do it then go for it! icon_smile.gif

CakeandDazzle Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 8:41pm
post #7 of 9

i think it will work out! esp since i have to add the peas too so that will give it alittle extra!

xstitcher Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 9:15pm
post #8 of 9

Sounds good. Good luck and post pics so I can see it when you're done icon_smile.gif !

Makeitmemorable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Makeitmemorable Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 3:07pm
post #9 of 9

I think you could do it two ways - make the half ball peas and place them in a cake pod as mentioned or make 3 balls of complete cake and make the pod around them just out of fondant.

This way you could pre-make the pod sides and one you have finished the balls, you could put them together around the completed ball cakes. I hope this makes sense, I can see it in my head but I know you can't.

I have attached a wedding cake I did with this theme, the little topper was a replica of their invitation picture which I made from fondant.

I am not sure though whether the 3 ball tins would be enough cake - I would think for 30 people it would be but I am not sure how you cut them.
Good luck
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%