Need Timeline Help Asap

Decorating By TheBlonde Updated 12 Aug 2009 , 12:27pm by megmarie

TheBlonde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheBlonde Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 12:15pm
post #1 of 4

Ok, here's is the timeline I'm working with. Please let me know if it sounds ok.

I have a cake that needs to be done for Saturday. It's a castle cake. I need to bake 4 cakes in all. I will be decorating the cake Friday night and delivering it Saturday morning. If I bake the cakes tonight would it be ok to just put them in the fridge wrapped very tight? Should I freeze them instead? I have never frozen a cake before so I'm not really sure how that works. Any advise would be much appreciated. Thanks!

3 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 12:23pm
post #2 of 4

Since you're baking tonight, I'd double wrap them in plastic wrap, single wrap in aluminum foil, put cake boards in between for support and throw them in the freezer.

Take them out of the freezer Friday morning and leave them wrapped while they defrost. You can defrost either in the fridge or on the counter.....I defrost in the fridge when it's this hot and humid.

HTH

Looking forward to seeing your castle cake, I'm doing one for a wedding in October.

P.S. I allow mine to cool a little before I wrap them and freeze. I wrap them while they're slightly warm.

TheBlonde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheBlonde Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 12:06pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks you so much Deb! You're always so helpfull. I need a little more help now though... As you probably know Deb, it was unbelievably hot and humid last night so there was NO WAY I was turning my oven on icon_smile.gif So no cakes were done last night. I will be baking all 4 tonight. Should I still freeze them at this point? If I do freeze I would take them out of the freezer and put them in the fridge Thursday night so that they would be defrosted to start crumb coating Friday morning. Is it even worth freezing them for 1 day?

megmarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megmarie Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 12:27pm
post #4 of 4

That is a good question! I would like to know the answer too. I had the same dilema, super hot and humid and I didn't want to leave it on the counter so I stuck it in the freezer with a light layer of BC on it in some tupperware....prob not the best way to do it but I was out of fridge space. The green icing bled everywhere when it started to sweat. The cake 'lived' but there has to be a better way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%