I Am So Disappointed!

Decorating By Kiki74 Updated 15 Aug 2009 , 11:06pm by cylstrial

Kiki74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiki74 Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 11:20am
post #1 of 16

I was asked by my friend's Dad to make a cake for the memorial service for his mother who just passed. It was a last minute thing and I was up til 1:00am this morning trying to make it look right. (have to be at work by 8:00) icon_eek.gif Anyway i just hate the way it turned out. I didn't get the halves as even as I thought so one end sits up higher. The icing just wouldn't smooth, apparently I'm lost without my Viva, which I didn't have, there was barely enough room for a bottom border and the writing is too little. I feel just terrible. I so wanted this to be perfect. What do think? Would you be ashamed to use it? Please be honest!
LL

15 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 11:29am
post #2 of 16

It doesn't look that bad. Remember, less sleep makes things look worse (to you because you're tired) and besides a memorial service is not a wedding...people are not there to ooh and ahh over the cake.

It will be fine.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 11:33am
post #3 of 16

As you know, we cakers are our own worst critics. The cake is lovely and has a beautiful sentiment. Everyone will appreciate it.

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 11:54am
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMB

As you know, we cakers are our own worst critics. The cake is lovely and has a beautiful sentiment. Everyone will appreciate it.

WORD! I think it's a lovely cake and very tastefully done!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 12:07pm
post #5 of 16

I'm assuming it's too late to change anything?? I would use the fact that it's uneven to my advantage and move the wording to the right side and add maybe a Bible scripture or poem to the left side and make it look like a book.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 12:09pm
post #6 of 16

On the contrary, I think the simpleness of the cake is befitting the occasion. I like the words on the smaller, simpler side. And anything else? Well, it was so nice of you to do at the last minute. The little imperfections you are talking about don't really show in the picture. Build yourself up for being able to help a friend in need. Don't tear yourself down for a tight cake border. Fortunately, we are the only crowd who would notice, and we would be glad you made the cake.

marknelliesmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknelliesmum Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 12:24pm
post #7 of 16

I too like the simplicity. Remember we see only the cake that is, not the cake you wanted it to be so you are not comparing it very favourably coz it's not what you had in your head. Your cake goggles are clouding your opinion. I'm sure it will be appreciated. thumbs_up.gif

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 12:29pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

I'm assuming it's too late to change anything?? I would use the fact that it's uneven to my advantage and move the wording to the right side and add maybe a Bible scripture or poem to the left side and make it look like a book.

I have to agree, Don't get me wrong it looks good but I think it will look the way you want it to look with this design

shalini1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shalini1 Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 12:32pm
post #9 of 16

I agree with matthewkyrankelly - it is a somber occasion, and doesn't need to be over the top/very decorated. I think it is beautiful and simple - and you did a GREAT job considering it was 1 in the morning. I'm sure the thought would be greatly appreciated.

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 12:46pm
post #10 of 16

I think it looks wonderful the way it is........the flowers are beautiful, and like someone previously said, this is a somber ocassion, and you don't want fancy-fancy........and yes, we ARE our own worst critics........so don't stress..............the cake looks beautiful..........

Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 2:37pm
post #11 of 16

First of all the cake looks great! If it isn't too late, and you want to add something extra maybe you could add a heart border around the words.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 2:53pm
post #12 of 16

Honestly, I think it is perfectly befitting the occassion. I think you were just needing some sleep. We need to be guided by the needs of the recipients and in this case I think you hit it on the mark.

It's not a cake competition or who gets the most feedback or something which of course I know you know I'm just saying.

I think memorial cakes should be subdued and even though you were over tired--I think you got it right.

Very tasteful, simple, clean, poignant.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 3:46pm
post #13 of 16

I agree with you when you say the writing is to small for that space.

Kiki74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiki74 Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 12:30am
post #14 of 16

Thank you all so much for looking and for your wonderful comments. I do agree it looked a bit better to me when I saw it again when I got up at 6:00 to go to work. My friend picked it up and she loved it! And her family was so appreciative that I did it so last minute. I will definitely take your advice and keep it in mind for next time! You ladies made me feel so much better! I was beginning to think I should just hang up the cake decorating thing altogether. It's amazing the thoughts you have at 1:00am. Again thanks, you guys ROCK!!!

Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 1:52am
post #15 of 16

See, you must have had your cake goggles on last night! icon_lol.gif I am glad your friend liked the cake. I thought it was very pretty. I loved the roses. Never stop decorating.I get frustrated at times and think the same thing but, I like too much to quit! icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 11:06pm
post #16 of 16

I think it looks great! No reason to be embarrassed at all!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%