Gel Paste Food Colours In The Uk

Decorating By Princess_Cakerella Updated 11 Aug 2009 , 9:39am by marknelliesmum

Princess_Cakerella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Princess_Cakerella Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 9:01am
post #1 of 3

Hi all, new member here and I've not yet introduced myself.

I have a query about food colouring for fondants and royal icing. I know soft gel paste is the best thing to use but I need a turquoise colour and the only place I can find that sells them is the US.

I spend a coupld of dollars on the gel paste and then postage for one tiny tub costs about $30!!

Obviously I don't want to spend all my money on postage so I'd ideally like to buy the paste from the UK. Does anyone know where I can buy turquoise/aqua blue food paste colour from in the UK?

Sugarflair has a eucalyptus colour but I've no idea if this is their equivalent of turquoise. Any help?

Thanking you!

2 replies
Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 9:37am
post #2 of 3

Sugarflair eucalyptus is more of a gray-green.

The nice ladies here: www.apieceofcakethame.co.uk would be more than happy to help you find the right color, I'm sure.

Otherwise you could experiment with these proportions a little.... Turquoise is 5 parts Sky Blue to 1 part Lemon Yellow

marknelliesmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknelliesmum Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 9:39am
post #3 of 3

Hi there and welcome!
Your cake supplier will be able to show you a colour chart of all the colours available (maybe even online too not sure if sugarflair has a website but i'd imagine so.) Anyway why not experiment with a little bit of fondant and mix food colours the way you would mix paint to get the colour you want and give you an idea of the proportions of each colour you need. (Add tiny bits of colour at a time) If this works and you decide to mix your colour make sure you mix plenty of fondant - if you run out of fondant you have almost no chance of being able to replicate the exact colour.
Hope this helps
x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%