Can't Have An At Home Business...what Now?

Business By kseevers Updated 11 Aug 2009 , 6:42pm by cakesweetiecake

kseevers Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 6:20am
post #1 of 10

I checked out my county here in Washington and we can't have an at home food business. We don't have rental kitchens close by either. My question is...what now? What did those of you do in this situation? Did you keep making cakes for people that you charged? I really wanted to get my business going and I have some start up clients but I want to do it right. I'm at a loss...any advise???

9 replies
DefyGravity Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 1:49pm
post #2 of 10

Absolutely nobody here is going to tell you its okay to bake illegally.

Are there any super cheap foreclosed homes in your area that you could convert to a bakery? Depending on the length of the loan, it could be pretty affordable. I think there are some in my area that are going for like 7k.

I hope you're able to find something for you!

-K8memphis Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 1:51pm
post #3 of 10

I sell books, CakeBuddy.

-K8memphis Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 1:58pm
post #4 of 10

I mean go back to the drawing board and go 'head and do it right.
Open a full blown business.

Get a marketing study done.
Do a business plan.
Get some financing.
Jump through the hoops and go for it!

Spuddysmom Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 2:11pm
post #5 of 10

kseevers - which county are you in? WA state varies from county to county. I'm in King and can have a home cake business but the hd restrictions for a kitchen are tough and the commercial kitchen I was going to rent just went out of business - so pretty much in the same boat.

colleenant Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 2:41pm
post #6 of 10

I'm in the same situation as you. To take out a loan for a state qualified kitchen with little clients is unrealistic. How can anyone possibly make that monthly payment on top of utilities with little business coming in, in the beginning? If you continue doing what youre doing, growing your clientele, spreading the word and saving; then starting a business with a lot of clients, experience and a down payment would be more secure.

What have other cake decorators done to start their business? Were you able to take out a loan, set up a kitchen and maintain payments on the loan with little clientele in the beginning? If there is another way let us know.

indydebi Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 2:53pm
post #7 of 10

Unfortunately, we're in a Catch-22 industry. You can't become a legal business until you have a comm'l kitchen, which you can't afford until you get a loan, which they won't give you until you can show you have a business history and the customers to support it, which you can't get until you become a legal business, which you can't do until you have a comm'l kitchen .... bah-DEE, bah-DEE, bah-DEE, that's ALL folks!!

kseevers Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 3:28pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks everyone for your posts.

DefyGravity- I am not wanting to do anything illegally. I was just wndering if others found themselves in this position and if so, what their next step was. Loans and other homes aren't really an option. I am a new mom and the 'at home' part was what I was banking on. I guess I might have to wait a bit...bummer.

K8memphis- I understand where you ae coming from and know how to creat the plans if I was able to do a bigger business, but the fact is I am not in the position to start a big business right now. I just wanted to see if I could run a small scale kitchen out of my home.

Spuddysmom- I am in Mason County. I feel for you, it's frustrating.

raquel1 Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 4:07pm
post #9 of 10

Here in Texas I'm in the same boat. I would only do this as a business if I could do it from home, I wan't my cake and eat it too!, late nights away from home is not what I want. It is so frustrating since I do have the space and even the separate structure on my land to build a completely separate kitchen, it literally makes my heart ache because I love doing this. My dd will start kindergarten this year so I may look for a part time job at a bakery or something like that just to so I can do something cake related until something changes in our laws... In the meantime I just continue viewing this gift as a ministry and not a business and continue doing cakes for people and places that need them, All in God's timing! icon_biggrin.gif

cakesweetiecake Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 6:42pm
post #10 of 10

Great thread. I definitely understand. However, I dont have any advice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%