Pasta Machine At Hobby Lobby

Decorating By soccermom17 Updated 12 Aug 2009 , 2:03pm by mbt4955

soccermom17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soccermom17 Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 3:40am
post #1 of 11

Hi all. Just a question about pasta machines. hobby lobby has one for $24.99, but it's in the polymer clay area. Could I use this on fondant? There is nothing on the box saying it is or isn't food safe. What do you think? worth it? I would wait for the next 40% off coupon.

10 replies
yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 3:54am
post #2 of 11

I've been wondering about this one too, can't wait to hear the response!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 4:00am
post #3 of 11

Yes, as long as the pasta machine has never been used for clay, then it's safe to use for fondant.

You can also find them at Ross, usually for about $15.

Personally, I have one (which I used to make noodles with icon_biggrin.gif) and I don't care for working with fondant with the machine. It takes longer to roll it out, adjust the setting, roll again, etc...than it does to just roll the fondant out by hand.

soccermom17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soccermom17 Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 10:10pm
post #4 of 11

thanks. that's kind of what i was thinking. i was wondering too if it took longer to use that or just use my little rolling pin on the fondant. we'll see.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 10:19pm
post #5 of 11

They put the pasta machine in the polymer clay area because so many people use it for polymer clay. Of course it's food safe because it is a pasta machine ... however, I know you'd never use it for both fondant and polymer clay.

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 10:28pm
post #6 of 11

I have to say that if you have a KitchenAid, it is easier to purchase the pasta roller for it. I had one of the pasta machines from Hobby Lobby and hated it. The handle kept falling off, and it was always coming off the table. The KitchenAid one works much better. I guess if you don't have a KitchenAide then it will do.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 11:14pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by deetmar

I have to say that if you have a KitchenAid, it is easier to purchase the pasta roller for it.

But not easier on the wallet! Aren't they about $150?

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 11:16pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by deetmar

I have to say that if you have a KitchenAid, it is easier to purchase the pasta roller for it. I had one of the pasta machines from Hobby Lobby and hated it. The handle kept falling off, and it was always coming off the table. The KitchenAid one works much better. I guess if you don't have a KitchenAide then it will do.

I have one that I purchased when it was on sale a few months ago. I only use it for my fondant flowers. I use the setting #6. It's true, I hate that the handle comes off. However, it came with a vice grip or whatever you call the holder(LOL), it does not come off the table. HTH
Hammy

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 1:48pm
post #9 of 11

I think I purchased my Kitchenaid roller for $50 when Kohls had a promotion. You can also find them on ebay and Amazon runs specials. It's really worth it.

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 2:00pm
post #10 of 11

I got mine at Hobby Lobby with a 40% off coupon and use it all the time.

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 2:03pm
post #11 of 11

I have the one from Hobby Lobby and it works fine. The biggest advantage to me is that all of my fondant is rolled out exactly the same thickness. Sure the KA one would be great, but I am a hobby baker and can't really justify the cost. The handle does fall off, but it goes back on just as easily as it came off. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%