1St Time Trying Chocolate Fondant

Baking By sugar-2 Updated 12 Aug 2009 , 10:54pm by alisapoly

sugar-2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugar-2 Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 3:17am
post #1 of 8

I have my first wedding cake order coming up in which they would like a 3 square tier covered in chocolate fondant.....never worked with chocolate fondant before, only MMF.

Question: any good homemade recipes? or better off buying already made
and if so which?

Thanks

7 replies
soccermom17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soccermom17 Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 3:25am
post #2 of 8

i've never made chocolate fondant. I've bought Satin Ice chocolate fondant, and it is really yummy!

makeminepink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeminepink Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 3:56am
post #3 of 8

I've only made it once and used a recipe that called for adding melted chocolate to the fondant. It kind of broke apart and wasn't smooth, no matter what I did. I recently read a thread that said not to add melted chocolate, that it would seize up. Next time I will try the recipe on here that just adds cocoa. If it were a wedding cake-- a big cake-- I'd be tempted to buy it.

pangegray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pangegray Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 4:21am
post #4 of 8

I have used Chocopan and it worked really well for me. I have made a cake for work with it and a cake for my best friend's daughter. Both times I had people saying how great the cakes tasted.

lorijom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijom Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 4:21am
post #5 of 8

6 ounces melted into the gelatin and corn syrup mixture of MFF works very well. However I know from experience that you can add too much chocolate, I once added 1 cup of cocoa plus the 6 ounces and the results were not good.

sugar-2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugar-2 Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 1:46pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks everyone!

I think i may experiment with the bought Satin Ice fondant way in advance, don't wanna mess up someones wedding cake!

Happy decorating!!!

pumpkinroses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pumpkinroses Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 10:37pm
post #7 of 8

Here is a link for the recipe I'm using for a wedding cake next weekend.

http://www.fromkarenskitchen.com/recipes/icing_glaze/icing/chocolate_rolled_fondant.php

I have learned a few tricks while making this recipe.

1. DO NOT add all of the powdered sugar into the bowl, start with about 1 lb, then follow instructions as listed.
2. Once fondant is starting to make a ball, slowly add powdered sugar until you get the consistency of the MMF.

Also, if it does dry out and break apart, kneed in some water. I just got my hands wet and kneeded. It starts off really sticky but keep kneeding. I had to do this 2 or 3 times and was able to save my batch of fondant.

HTH

alisapoly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alisapoly Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 10:54pm
post #8 of 8

I would go with Satin Ice, it smells so good when your rolling it out too! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%