1St Time Trying Chocolate Fondant

Baking By sugar-2 Updated 12 Aug 2009 , 10:54pm by alisapoly

sugar-2 Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 3:17am
post #1 of 8

I have my first wedding cake order coming up in which they would like a 3 square tier covered in chocolate fondant.....never worked with chocolate fondant before, only MMF.

Question: any good homemade recipes? or better off buying already made
and if so which?

7 replies
soccermom17 Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 3:25am
post #2 of 8

i've never made chocolate fondant. I've bought Satin Ice chocolate fondant, and it is really yummy!

makeminepink Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 3:56am
post #3 of 8

I've only made it once and used a recipe that called for adding melted chocolate to the fondant. It kind of broke apart and wasn't smooth, no matter what I did. I recently read a thread that said not to add melted chocolate, that it would seize up. Next time I will try the recipe on here that just adds cocoa. If it were a wedding cake-- a big cake-- I'd be tempted to buy it.

pangegray Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 4:21am
post #4 of 8

I have used Chocopan and it worked really well for me. I have made a cake for work with it and a cake for my best friend's daughter. Both times I had people saying how great the cakes tasted.

lorijom Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 4:21am
post #5 of 8

6 ounces melted into the gelatin and corn syrup mixture of MFF works very well. However I know from experience that you can add too much chocolate, I once added 1 cup of cocoa plus the 6 ounces and the results were not good.

sugar-2 Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 1:46pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks everyone!

I think i may experiment with the bought Satin Ice fondant way in advance, don't wanna mess up someones wedding cake!

Happy decorating!!!

pumpkinroses Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 10:37pm
post #7 of 8

Here is a link for the recipe I'm using for a wedding cake next weekend.

I have learned a few tricks while making this recipe.

1. DO NOT add all of the powdered sugar into the bowl, start with about 1 lb, then follow instructions as listed.
2. Once fondant is starting to make a ball, slowly add powdered sugar until you get the consistency of the MMF.

Also, if it does dry out and break apart, kneed in some water. I just got my hands wet and kneeded. It starts off really sticky but keep kneeding. I had to do this 2 or 3 times and was able to save my batch of fondant.

alisapoly Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 10:54pm
post #8 of 8

I would go with Satin Ice, it smells so good when your rolling it out too! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%