Black Frosting

Decorating By Bertie81 Updated 11 Aug 2009 , 7:06pm by tatorchip

Bertie81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bertie81 Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 2:50am
post #1 of 5

I have a pink and black cake to make. The request is for a two tiered pink cake with black dots. In the past when I have mixed up black frosting it always seems to be more gray. I'm wondering how to get the black frosting black?

Does anyone have any suggestions? I use gel colors.

4 replies
amberkw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberkw Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 4:10am
post #2 of 5

I am wondering the same thing and with fondant as well. I have had to use a whole jar of black paste before & it still isnt a true black. Whats the secret?

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 4:41am
post #3 of 5

I switched from the Wilton black to Americolor Super Black, and it seemed to really help. Another thing that helps with icing is to start with another color, like brown, before adding the black.

Finally, color your icing at least a few hours early, to allow the color to develop fully.

I've only colored small amounts of fondant black, rather than (for example) enough for a whole tier, but I found it helpful to start with the chocolate pre-made fondant. Again, doing it ahead of time to allow the color to intensify seems to help.

Bertie81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bertie81 Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 2:42pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you! I never thought about starting out with a brown then adding the black. I'll give that a try!

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 7:06pm
post #5 of 5

I also prefer americolor super black, I also use a little vodka and a little black and it paints on fondant and gum paste very well, i never used it in bc icing yet. Thanks for the chocolate icing tips.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%