Flower Tool Not Working For Me

Decorating By Yankie Updated 11 Aug 2009 , 2:47pm by pianocat

Yankie Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 1:55am
post #1 of 15

I'm doing fondant roses and I find that the tool with the round little ball keep sticking to the rose petal when I'm trying to shape it,and so I keep dipping it in cornstarch..but for some reason i'm tearing the petal.

Is it because is plastic (Wilton)...should I get he stainless steel one? or is it just me?

thanks in advance

14 replies
AverageMom Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 2:00am
post #2 of 15

I've been having the same problem with the same tool! I keep dipping it in powdered sugar, but it's not the best. I don't think it's us. I think there is probably a little plastic edge on the ball.

Texas_Rose Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 2:04am
post #3 of 15

If it does have a ridge, you can use a nail file to sand it down a little bit.

I have two of the plastic wilton ones...the one with two sizes and the one with the pointed end on the other end. They both work without problems for me.

You can rub a bit of crisco on it instead of cornstarch and see if that works better for you.

Yankie Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 2:04am
post #4 of 15

Hi average mom..is true I really don't think is us..for some reason I think because is plastic or in the plastic family.

I wonder if the metal one will work better..Hopefully we get an answer.

thanks!!

DianeLM Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 3:10am
post #5 of 15

Are you using straight fondant? Or a mixture of fondant and gumpaste or fondant and tylose? Whatever you're using, you need to let the cut petals sit and firm up for a few minutes before taking the tool to them.

If you're using straight fondant, I highly recommend mixing in some gumpaste or tylose powder. You'll be able to roll the petals thinner and they'll hold up to the ball tool better.

Also, you only need a light touch. You can go over it several times until it's the way you want, but there's no turning back from pressing too hard causing it to tear.

TexasSugar Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 3:22am
post #6 of 15

Is the sticky side of the petal up or down? The part that is rolled against your surface is usually a little sticky and works better if that is facing down when you are using your ball tool. Also becareful that you are not pressing two hard on it. I've used the Wilton ball tool for most of the flowers I have done and don't generally have that problem.

Yankie Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 3:35am
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

Are you using straight fondant? Or a mixture of fondant and gumpaste or fondant and tylose? Whatever you're using, you need to let the cut petals sit and firm up for a few minutes before taking the tool to them.

If you're using straight fondant, I highly recommend mixing in some gumpaste or tylose powder. You'll be able to roll the petals thinner and they'll hold up to the ball tool better.

Also, you only need a light touch. You can go over it several times until it's the way you want, but there's no turning back from pressing too hard causing it to tear.

i'm using straight gumpaste...i let the circles for the petals sit a little bit until they feel dry and then I use the tool to shape the petal. But as i'm doing the center and then pulling down to give it the indention..that's where I have the problem, it sticks.

Texas_Rose Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 3:58am
post #8 of 15

You can indent the middle of the petal with your fingertip as long as you don't have long nails.

dsilvest Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 4:15am
post #9 of 15

Are you doing this on top of the Wilton thin foam? If you don't use it the fondant or gumpaste will tear. If you don't have one try a mousepad.

Yankie Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 1:57pm
post #10 of 15

YEs I'm using the foam, and the petal keeps sliding all over the place as I tried to do the indention.

I only did one rose yesterday..i'm going to try again today. Will let you know how I do.

thanks!!

DianeLM Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 2:05pm
post #11 of 15

How thin are you rolling your petals? Perhaps they're still a little too thick. If they're too thick, while the outside of the petal may feel dry to the touch, the inside may still be sticky. Know what I mean?

Yankie Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 2:12pm
post #12 of 15

I'm rolling them thin..maybe I can go thinner..I will try that too...I see what you mean..I will roll them thinner today, so that they are not sticky...so what you are saying they should be so thin, that they should not be sticky at all.

juliebold Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 2:15pm
post #13 of 15

When I do my flowers I do not let them sit before I start to form them. I will cut them all out and leave them under plastic, put cornstarch on the mat and start. I will sometimes get sticking it is usually because there is something on my tool. I use the PME plastic tools but I have also used the wilton ones with no problem. I do roll my gumpaste thin. And I don't apply to much pressure. Hope this helps.

PinkZiab Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 2:35pm
post #14 of 15

I do find that the metal ball tool generally works better... I've used plastic in a pinch, but I definitely prefer the metal.

pianocat Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 2:47pm
post #15 of 15

Like Juliebold-I don't let them sit. I use a 50/50 mix of fondant/gp. I roll it thin and keep it covered as I work. I use the Wilton and haven't had any problems.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%