Do Flower Nails Have To Be Taller Than Cake Pan???

Decorating By Peridot Updated 11 Aug 2009 , 5:21pm by susanscakecreations

Peridot Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 1:28am
post #1 of 8

I use flower nails when baking my cakes and have great results. Do the flower nails have to stick above the edge of the pan? The reason that I ask this stupid question is that when I turn my cakes over to remove from the pan, the flower nail catches or hits on my cooling rack (regardless how careful I am) and then when I lift the pan off - dammmm - my cake is gouged at the bottom from the nail getting bumped.

Sooo I was going to have my DH take off some of the end to make it even with the top of the pan. Will this still work like before? I am thinking that it would cause when the cake bakes above the nail it is buried inside.

Just wanted to know what my fellow CC'ers think that use the flower nail for baking.

Thanks!

7 replies
redpanda Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 1:51am
post #2 of 8

I don't see why it would be a problem. By the time the cake batter rises above the level of the pan, the part that would be above the flower nail would be set already. Since the nail is removed from the "pan side" of the cake (the top when the cake is turned out of the pan, the bottom while baking), it shouldn't really matter whether the nail tip is buried.

At least, that is my opinion.

stsapph Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 1:56am
post #3 of 8

I have never had my flower nail above my cake pan and have always had excellent results. Granted, I also use 3" pans, so I have never had the nail above the cake pan to know if there is a difference. I really don't see a problem if you shorten you flower nails. HTH and good luck testing it!

Texas_Rose Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 2:00am
post #4 of 8

I think it would work fine...but don't you put the cooling rack on top of the cake pan, then hold rack and pan together and flip them? That's how I do it and the nail doesn't ever seem to have a problem, it just sticks through the cooling rack.

jo_ann Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 12:07pm
post #5 of 8

I had my dh do this a while back because I was having the same problem. Works great. I love it and the cakes bake up just fine. No more gouged cake.

Jo-Ann

Peridot Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 3:47pm
post #6 of 8

I do put the cooling rack on top of my cake and put the nail through a space but when I flip it over I am forever bumping it - my racks have little squares.

Thanks to all of you who responded. I am going to have DH cut down my flower nails and that should take care of it.

jo-ann ... I am happy to know that I am not the only one that has this problem! Makes me feel like less of a putz!!

jo_ann Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 4:49pm
post #7 of 8

You are definitely not a putz. Because if you are then so am I. icon_confused.gif LOL.

Jo-Ann

susanscakecreations Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 5:21pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

I think it would work fine...but don't you put the cooling rack on top of the cake pan, then hold rack and pan together and flip them? That's how I do it and the nail doesn't ever seem to have a problem, it just sticks through the cooling rack.

This ^^^^^^^^ is how I do mine.......works like a charm............and NO, you are NOT a putz!!!!!!! icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%