Help Making Flames

Decorating By sandra05 Updated 14 Aug 2009 , 2:59am by sandra05

sandra05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandra05 Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 12:28am
post #1 of 4

i have a cake due in 2 days it's for a friend, this is his 27th birthday
i wanted to add flames on the side of the cake. i made a 3d figure that looks like him ,to use as a topper. any ideas on making flames? please icon_cry.gif

3 replies
diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 12:32am
post #2 of 4

we just discussed this topic a few days ago. try a search and you will come up with what you are looking for. icon_wink.gif

BJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJ Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 12:50am
post #3 of 4

I made a cake for a fire cheif who was retiring and put a gumpaste figurine of him sitting on top of the cake holding a fire hose. To make the flames I used both fondant AND gumpaste. I used a petal cookie cutter (it looks like a tear drop with the pointed end kind of twisting to the side) - you can get these at your local craft store - they sell them in a set with a couple different sizes. Anyway - back to the flames. I made the gumpaste ones ahead of time and placed them in a flower formed to dry on a curved angle - then after making the cake and icing it with BC - I cut out some of the "flames" from red. orange, and yellow fondant and just stuck them to the side of the cake kind of randomly - I then stuck the gumpaste ones to the side and top of the cake too. It's in my pictures - look for the firetruck cake and in the background of that photo is the fire cake (the firehose attached to the fire truck). Hope this helps.

sandra05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandra05 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 2:59am
post #4 of 4

thank you for your help with the flames. the cake was hit. everyone loved it. they all loved the 3d figure of Jeff
thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%