Lobster Pot Lid - Gumpaste Question

Decorating By BJ Updated 14 Aug 2009 , 1:33am by karateka

BJ Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 11:51pm
post #1 of 2

I'm making a lobster pot cake for my sister's 50th birthday party this Saturday. The one with the lobster trying to climb out. She's a BIG lobster fan. Anyway - for the lid - I'm covering a cardboard cake circle with gumpaste. I rolled out the gumpaste and cut it to about 2 inches larger than my 10" cake board - placed the cake circle on the gumpaste and then I pulled the 2 inches over what will be the underside of the lid on the cake circle. my question is - to let the "lid" dry - I need to flip the "lid" over so the gumpaste side is up so it can dry. My problem is - the turned under gumpaste wants to pull away from the cake circle when I flip it over- should I brush it with piping gel? Will that hold it till it dries? Right now I covered another cake circle with waxed paper brushed with cornstarch and put the lid right side up on that to dry. This is a first for me- trying to attach gumpaste to cardboard..... icon_confused.gif

1 reply
karateka Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 1:33am
post #2 of 2

I use a little water on my gumpaste to stick it to stuff. Works fine.... piping gel would probably work, too, though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%