Question About Cake Board

Decorating By luts88 Updated 11 Aug 2009 , 1:36am by Jeff_Arnett

luts88 Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 11:14pm
post #1 of 5

So I'm just wondering if I'm doing something wrong or if it is normal. When i make a tiered cake i use the wilton cardboard in between layers. I wait until the cake is fully cooled before I put it on the board. I then stack the cake. My problem is that I am finding that the cake board is pulling off the fondant from the layer below when serving. Is this normal? Is there anything I can do to prevent this? Thanks

4 replies
MrsNancyB1 Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 11:19pm
post #2 of 5

That happened to my son's birthday cake too. I thought it was just a normal occurrence, because the buttercream 'glue' sticks to the fondant so well, that it pulls it off along with the board during serving.

I wasn't all that bothered, since the cake was being cut into anyways. Of course, this was my son's birthday, and none of the 3 year old guests cared if there was a little fondant missing from the top of their slice. icon_razz.gif

YouCaterer Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 11:30pm
post #3 of 5

Sometimes I throw a little confectioners sugar under the cakeboard & that seems to help. You can't do too much or else it might slide right off! icon_smile.gif

diane Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 11:42pm
post #4 of 5

you can also try shredded coconut! thumbs_up.gif

Jeff_Arnett Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 1:36am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by diane

you can also try shredded coconut! thumbs_up.gif

Some folks are allergic to coconut. Try a circle of parchment about an inch smaller than the tier to be placed on it....use a few dabs of icing to secure it to the top of the lower tier, then a bit on top of the parchment before placing the upper tier on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%