How Do You Get The Shiny Effect On Fondant?

Decorating By Krumbs Updated 10 Aug 2009 , 11:23pm by MrsNancyB1

Krumbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krumbs Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 9:53pm
post #1 of 7

I want to make some bows for a cake and want them to look like golden satin. Any advice is appreciated
thank you

6 replies
Marina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marina Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 9:57pm
post #2 of 7

You can buff it with a tad of Crisco or
Airbrush with vodka or
paint it

marknelliesmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknelliesmum Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 10:01pm
post #3 of 7

Hi
I'm not too sure what you mean by golden satin - do you mean a solid gold look as opposed to some sparkle? If so lustre dust mixed with vodka or similar will give this effect, you can also get a lustre spray (sorry don't know what it's called ) that gives a softer but shiny look. This is probably not much help hopefully someone else will have other suggestions.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 10:15pm
post #4 of 7

You can try and airbrush Gold on to the bow..it might be too translucent though or may take several coats.There is a lustre spray out by PME and comes in Gold,Silver,Bronze Peral etc...The gold is really nice but it sprays everywhere...I had pearl floating in my house for 2 days.HA!HA! Smells really nice also.Globalsugarart sells it and a few other online stores.It's not cheap though..about $12.00 a can.

Suewillo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suewillo Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 10:24pm
post #5 of 7

I have seen the cake boss Buddy use a steamer for clothes to make his fondant shiny.

lopsidedTurntable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lopsidedTurntable Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 11:08pm
post #6 of 7

Gum arabic plus water brushed on.

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 11:23pm
post #7 of 7

I've always thought that a little crisco rubbed into the fondant will give it a nice sheen.

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%