Internal Structure For This Elephant Cake

Decorating By Brooke420 Updated 31 Oct 2013 , 8:21pm by Anokha

Brooke420 Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 8:38pm
post #1 of 8

Hello everyone,

I have 2 family member that would like to have standing 3D animal cakes in the next few months. One an elephant, one a horse. I understand how to make the legs and attach the board for the body, but does anyone have any insight on how to make the head?

I really like this cake, and was wondering how I might make the head stable.

7 replies
Suewillo Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 10:32pm
post #2 of 8

the board you are putting the body on why not attach wood to it that is on a slant to hold the head on but have it almost as wide as the head to hold most of the cake then use wire attached to the board for the head to be used for the truck. I have never done this but thought it might work for you.

Brooke420 Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 10:52pm
post #3 of 8

That's a thought. Thanks for replying. I might have to do a practice version to see what works.

Doug Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 11:50pm
post #4 of 8

to help you visualize.

all based on mostly wood pieces so can avoid having to do a lot of plumbing and requires only basic woodworking skills

3/4 plywood base (gray) (should extend fully out under head -- trunk can go past the end)

dowels of at least 1/2" diameter (white) (screwed into base and body -- PREDRILL to accept screws to lessen chance of splitting)

masonite board for body (orange)

riser/spacer block of wood for head (blue) (screwed to body board)

masonite board for head (green)

"L" brackets (4x) (red) to hold head board to body board. -- bolt fully through the riser block to firmly secure Ls to each other. bolt to head and body boards (masonite NOT thick enough to screw into)

copper pipe or twisted wire or any similar bendable metal for trunk (black) (screw or bolt to head board)

for horse neck and head -- just two pieces of copper tubing, upside down wide V shape and cover in RKT. so narrow not worth the fight of doing it in cake.

Brooke420 Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 12:08am
post #5 of 8

THANK YOU so much. I'm a visual person, and the diagrams are fantastic. I am very excited to do these projects now that I have an idea of what to do.
Thanks again,

Brooke420 Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 4:58pm
post #6 of 8

I just thought of a couple more questions as I was looking at the diagram.
1) what do you cover the structure with before you put cake on it?
2) What is the best material to use to build up the underside of the cake board (i.e. where the belly of the elephant would be) to give it a rounded/full appearance on the bottom?

Doug Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 7:24pm
post #7 of 8

plastic warp will work...or any other food safe paper/foil.

could also varnish whole thing with food grad polyurethane

belly - styrofoam would be easiest and least affected by gravity.

RKT could be used too

Anokha Posted 31 Oct 2013 , 8:21pm
post #8 of 8

I'm making an elephant cake, and this thread has been extremely helpful.  I've been trying to do the underbelly of the cake with RKT, but they keep falling off.  Any tips on how to get it to stay would be much appreciated!

Quote by @%username% on %date%