Tooled Leather Look On Buttercream

Decorating By fbgirl00 Updated 1 Sep 2009 , 9:53pm by fbgirl00

fbgirl00 Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 7:54pm
post #1 of 15

Does anyone have any advice on how to do this technique with buttercream instead of fondant? I have an airbrush to make it look like leather but they want the tooled look. Thanks!
LL

14 replies
__Jamie__ Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 11:06pm
post #2 of 15

I'm not sure. I would think to be as realistic as possible, you would want the indentations like real leather would have, and paint in those depressions. There are some things I will flat out tell someone, even if they say "but I haaaaaate fondant"....this must be done in fondant unless you want a cakewreck.

diane Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 11:43pm
post #3 of 15

wow...if this is done in buttercream...then i'd like to meet the decorator! icon_eek.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 11:48pm
post #4 of 15

If I am reading the OP correctly, the cake in the pic is fondant. The customer wants it recreated in buttercream.

Doug Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 12:08am
post #5 of 15

very good crusting BC fully crusted

then you'll have to use a dull object (like one of the tools used to make gumpaste flowers -- I'd probably choose the smallest ball tool) (even handle end of a big artists brush)

gently trace into the BC, just enough to dent it.

slow & tedious

----

now if only there were a way to print the design on Viva paper towel -- could lay that one and trace through it to be even surer of not cutting in too deeply.

tiggy2 Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 12:40am
post #6 of 15

You could copy the design onto cling wrap and lightly trace over that onto the butter cream. I've done it with other designs and it works well.

fbgirl00 Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 3:04pm
post #7 of 15

Great tips you guys, thanks for the advice. I will do a trial run on some of these techniques this weekend since the cake is not due until the 29th of August. Now, they want to serve approximately 50 with a round cake, any suggestions on pan size?

nesweetcake Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 9:38pm
post #8 of 15

Hi, I have used this on fondant and would work ok on good crusting butter cream. In the fabric/home decorating area of a local hobby store look for a fake leather look material with the tooled look you want. Lay a piece of plastic wrap down over the top then the material. Use a fondant smoother to impress the pattern (deep grooves and patterning) into the crusted butter cream, gently remove the fabric and plastic wrap, then air brush! I do it on fondant, so would work if you apply the correct pressure on the butter cream. Good Luck.

marknelliesmum Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 10:04pm
post #9 of 15

Hi
Maybe i'm being thick here but is it the swirly pattern you're after? If so i have a suggestion - not sure if it will work coz i have never used buttercream( i'm a fondant person) but i'll let you be the judge of that. In one of my books to help people like me who can't use a piping bag (oh the shame! icon_cry.gificon_redface.gif ) the name/pattern is piped onto perspex with RI, once this dries the perspex is turned over and placed on the cake to imprint the pattern/name or whatever. Like i said i have no idea if this will work on buttercream just thought i'd suggest it in the hope that it may help. icon_smile.gif

arosstx Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 10:24pm
post #10 of 15

Hey, that's MY cake! I'm glad ya'll like it so much, haha.
It's all fondant, except for the barbed wire and piping on bandana- rare for me since most my stuff is usually all bc.

One of the reasons I decided to use fondant was because I knew I could make impressions in it, then rub on/rub off a darker color to get this effect. I loved the "antiqued" look it created.

To do it out of buttercream, I would ice in the lighter brown color then pipe with a #1 tip (or smaller!) in darker brown in the pattern you want. Then VIVA the whole thing, being very gentle. It will smoosh down the piping into the light brown and kind of give you that look.

Just remember with buttercream that you'll lose the shading and depth of the rubbed on/rubbed off color creates. Unless you airbrush too, but if you're going to go to all the trouble you might as well use fondant! icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 10:26pm
post #11 of 15

I knew there was a good reason for recommending fondant.

xstitcher Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 10:30pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by marknelliesmum

Hi
Maybe i'm being thick here but is it the swirly pattern you're after? If so i have a suggestion - not sure if it will work coz i have never used buttercream( i'm a fondant person) but i'll let you be the judge of that. In one of my books to help people like me who can't use a piping bag (oh the shame! icon_cry.gificon_redface.gif ) the name/pattern is piped onto perspex with RI, once this dries the perspex is turned over and placed on the cake to imprint the pattern/name or whatever. Like i said i have no idea if this will work on buttercream just thought i'd suggest it in the hope that it may help. icon_smile.gif

I was thinking the same thing. If indeed all you need is the pattern indented onto your bc then just use an RI stamp. You can pipe the RI onto the plexiglass and use the plexiglass as a stamp once the RI dries.

There is a tutorial with pictures in the forums (if memory serves it was done by rocketgirl) but I can't find the search option right now (must be a slight hick up on cc) otherwise I'd post it for you. I'll check again later to see if the search feature is back and then I'll add the link.

xstitcher Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 10:34pm
post #13 of 15

Looks like it was a temp gliche.

Here's the link:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-609974-stamp.html

HTH

fbgirl00 Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 2:40pm
post #14 of 15

thanks again, these are great ideas! I know using fondant would be more practical but I am determined to make BC work. I guess I am just a BC kinda gal. I mainly use fondant for accents. No one in my family likes to eat the fondant cakes, even the MMF.

fbgirl00 Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 9:53pm
post #15 of 15

There is a pic in my photos of the finished cake. It was to big to attach to post here. I think it turned out great. I used the end of a small paintbrush to make the tooling marks then airbrushed them dark brown. I used a papertowel that had a stripe pattern on the outside for texture.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%