Cake Falling Apart

Decorating By idgalpal Updated 10 Aug 2009 , 9:15pm by idgalpal

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 6:39pm
post #1 of 6

I helped a friend cater a wedding reception yesterday. She had originally asked me to supply the clients with a quote for a wedding cake back in March. I did, and they did not select me to do the wedding cake - no worries. I knew they were trying to do this whole reception CHEAP. In fact, they told my friend they'd like to keep the budget around $5 per person icon_eek.gif We've all heard that one before. when she gets that I always tell her to tell her clients to give each guest $5 and send them through MacDonald's drive-thru. Anyway, we arrived at the venue and the bride's mother is having a total meltdown, it seems the 3 tier wedding cake that was delivered is falling apart. All the baker could say was "there;s nothing I could do, it's a heavy cake" icon_eek.gif My friend the cater says, oh, Patsi can fix it, she's a cake decorator - holy smokes- no pressure here! It's just a hobby with me! I take a look at the cake and omg! she didn't lie, the top tier has cracked and 1/4 of it has fallen off! The middle tier is sinking into the bottom tier because there is no support system between the middle and bottom tiers, and the bottom tier is bulging out the sides and giving in to the weight on the top two tiers. Luckily the baker had furnished a 16 inch square tier to serve also. I just moved the flowers from the 3 tier cake to the square cake. The bride's mother was thrilled, the cake was delicious, so it went off just fine. The reception was for 100 people, I was able to serve everyone from the square cake with some left over, so the tiered cake never got cut! Wow, talk about leftover cake!.

5 replies
pattigunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattigunter Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 6:59pm
post #2 of 6

I hope they got their money back.

cakemaker30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemaker30 Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 7:20pm
post #3 of 6

You are so much of a better person than I am. icon_biggrin.gif I totally would have let them have their falling apart cake. That's what you get when you go cheap. That was very nice of you to fix it for them though since they didn't have you do the cake in the first place.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 7:21pm
post #4 of 6

It is amazing that people pick the cheapest they can get and are not thrilled when all does not go well. MOB should be very thankful for your thinking outside the box quickly to pull off a cake for them. The baker that did not have a support for the cake needs a quick refund to the bride with a big apology.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 8:11pm
post #5 of 6

You are definetly a better person them mefor fixing the cake, cause some one would have got a bill, your friend or the MOB. My friends would never volunteer my services just cause they know I can do it. I don't think so. I'm also a firm believer in you pay for what you get!

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 9:15pm
post #6 of 6

I just regret I didn't have my phone with me to snap a quick picture!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%