How Do They Do It On Tv??

Decorating By cali_girl22 Updated 10 Aug 2009 , 6:49pm by jardot22

cali_girl22 Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 6:21pm
post #1 of 5

i always see these cake shows where their cakes are so thin and they just stack them on top of each other, without having to slice them in half to fill and they can go as high as they want. how do they do this?? how do they bake the cakes so thin, yet have them taste the same. thank you =]

4 replies
diane Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 6:26pm
post #2 of 5

i've read somewhere where the pans are filled with a certain amount of batter and when it's done it only gets about an inch thick. i can't remember which site i was looking at though. instead of them filling their pans half way or 3/4 of the way, they just do this.

i wish i could remember where i found this info. icon_redface.gif

jobueno Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 6:27pm
post #3 of 5

Hi there cali_girl22 and Welcome to CC!!
first ove all I don't think those cakes you see on TV are actually all that thin. Those are actually about 2 inch high cakes. Are you talking about Food Network Challenge? Because the reason they don't slice and fill is because they are on a time frame to get it done.

cali_girl22 Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 6:42pm
post #4 of 5

no not just the challenges, cause i know they are on a time frame. but even all the other shows. they put one thing of cake on the counter put filling on top then place a seperate thing of cake on top and they keep goin as high as they want. and then they crumb-coat the whole cake.

jardot22 Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 6:49pm
post #5 of 5

I know on Cake Boss he uses thin layers of sponge cake a lot, which is about an inch thick like you're talking about...

Quote by @%username% on %date%