Phantom 50Th Birthday

Decorating By cakehelp Updated 10 Aug 2009 , 9:27pm by cakehelp

cakehelp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakehelp Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 5:49pm
post #1 of 3

A friend of mine asked if I could do a cake for her husbands 50th birthday. She wanted a Phantom theme on the cake and I really like the idea. I would like to do something that is not colorful kids style superhero cake but rather a retro or vintage sort of style cake. I don't know if that makes sense, but since he is old (LOL) I thought it would be nice if the cake reminded more of old style cartoon than the computerized graphics used now.

It is going to be a very small cake, just one tier 8", so there is not much room for decorations and there is no stacking of cakes which doesn't give me much room on the height either.

I'm not able to visualize anything good... icon_confused.gif

Anyone feeling creative today?

I found a pic that I really like, but I'm not sure how to incorporate it into a cake. I also found some cool looking old comic book covers. I'm attaching some pics here so that you can see what I mean.
LL
LL

2 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 8:11pm
post #2 of 3

easy...

Option 1:

cake top is BLACK

side is BLACK with a wide GOLD BAND around it (just like on the ring!)

on one side of cake -- the front of the skull ring! (fondant or gumpaste plaque)

make band width proportional to plaque so it looks like The Phantom's ring.

---

The Phantom's ring is VERY special to all Phantom fans. --- When he knocked the bad guys out, it was always with a strong right hook that hit so hard it left a permanent impression of his ring on their face -- the mark of The Phantom! I and lots of other boys wanted a Phantom ring when we were young.

====================

Option 2:

Cake top is "Phantom Blue" like the color of his suit

Side done up to look like The Phantom's belt.

On top of cake a gumpaste representation of The Phantom's ring and of his eye mask.

These together (especially the belt and ring) have special significance as well. When the new Phantom (usually the son of the current Phantom) was ready to take over, the belt and ring were given to him as the sign he was now The Phantom.

-----

oh this brings back memories -- The Phantom, Mandrake the Magician, and Prince Valiant were my 3 favorite Sunday comics!

----

cakehelp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakehelp Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 9:27pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks Doug! You always have such good ideas. I really like the idea of the ring and mask on top of the cake. If I have time (which I sort of know I don't... LOL never enough time) I might try to make some comic stip squares on the side of the cake. If I don't, I will put the belt around the side of the cake as you suggested.

Thanks again for your input, and btw thank you for all your awesome pics of cake constructions. I use those all the time to draw on when talking to wedding clients. They are so helpful!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%