My First Ever Wedding Cake Is Done!

Decorating By mommy2sweetpeas Updated 13 Aug 2009 , 8:32pm by Relznik

mommy2sweetpeas Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 5:30pm
post #1 of 18

well, after sleepless nights the cake is finally finished! i've never had any formal classes, it's just something i like to do. the ribbon gave me a run for my money (any advice on how to attach?) and the bottom layer wasn't the friendliest to cover, but all in all...i was happy with it. the bride was happy and i guess that's all that matters. any advice or comments would be great! here's a link: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1433477

17 replies
RetiredNavyChief Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 5:40pm
post #2 of 18

Wow, you did great. I cant help you with the ribbon I havent done one yet.

Wesha Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 5:47pm
post #3 of 18

Your cake turned out beautiful. I love the colors together.

__Jamie__ Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 6:17pm
post #4 of 18

Unless you prefer the really rounded edges at the top, I would suggest putting the cake in the fridge for the BC to set firmly before applying your fondant. This way, you get a sharper edge, again, if that's what you prefer. I always put my ribbon on after the cake is assembled and is cool, so I can pull the ribbon by both ends, pulling slightly taut to make it stand up straight and not curl under where the tier is meeting the cake below it. Double stick tape to secure at the back.

Great job, and I love that you used a nice thick board.

__Jamie__ Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 6:18pm
post #5 of 18

Oh....it looks like maybe you didn't level off the top layer? Or didn't smooth the BC across to make it level?

Cathy26 Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 8:45pm
post #6 of 18

that is gorgeous! i would stick the ribbon on with royal icing to get it right against the cake. really lovely design, you should be really proud icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 2:25am
post #7 of 18

I think it's gorgeous. I just did my first wedding cake last month and it's great to get that "first" out of the way, isn't it? icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

JGMB Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 12:05pm
post #8 of 18

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Jan14grands Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 12:09pm
post #9 of 18

You're ahead of me - I haven't done that "first wedding cake" - it scares me, but want to do one someday. Your cake turned out BEAUTIFULLY! I see why the bride loved it. Congratulations!! icon_smile.gif

mommy2sweetpeas Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 7:33pm
post #10 of 18

thanks everyone! i had some problems with my buttercream underneath and will definitely keep practicing. i was just asked by a co-worker to do a "dummy" cake for her wedding for her....all buttercream. anyone know a cheap site to get dummies? i don't know of a place close to me that has them.

thanks1 icon_biggrin.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 7:36pm
post #11 of 18

I don't do cheap, but I pay for what this company offers. T a y lor Foam (google it, take out the spaces, if I put the address, it will just get censored). They have the contour top (rounded edges), makes for putting fondant on a lot easier.

Nice thing about doing a BC dummy, it only takes a thin coat!

diane Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 7:37pm
post #12 of 18

beautiful cake!

tip for the ribbon...i would iron on a backing so that the ribbon stands up straight and not bulges into the cake. i've done the ribbon thing and had no backing on it...i will never do that again! icon_redface.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 7:39pm
post #13 of 18

Yes, line it with tape or contact paper. Makes it stand up nice and taut.

pumpkinroses Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 8:01pm
post #14 of 18

You did a great job. My first wedding cake is next weekend. Hope mine goes as well as yours, wish me luck!

rblee Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 8:16pm
post #15 of 18

Cheap dummies at http://w w w.dallas-foam.c o m/ store/cakedummies.ht m l (take out spaces.) Click on "Order Online" to see all the sizes and shapes. Very friendly people.

hensor Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 8:21pm
post #16 of 18

I would suggest the clear contact paper on the back of the ribbon....
Great job on the cake. I like the hearts on the top myself.

Relznik Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 8:32pm
post #17 of 18

I have a tip to stop the ribbon from curling underneath the tier....

Once you've stacked the cakes, make some fondant 'goo'. Using the same colour fondant as you've covered the cake with, let it down with some water (paddle it with a knife) until it's the consistency of soft royal icing.

Now, put it in a small piping bag.

Next, fill the gap between the two tiers with the goo. Wipe away the excess with your (obviously - clean) finger.

Doing this creates a seal between the tiers and also fills the gap so that ribbon can't slide under.

I also do this if I'm not using ribbon, but want to pipe 'snails trail' or mini shells in royal icing around the base of each tier.

Hope this helps.

Suzanne x

Relznik Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 8:32pm
post #18 of 18

- sorry - also meant to say

Lovely cake! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%