Cake Would Have Tipped If The Program Was Any Longer!

Decorating By pursuing_perfection Updated 11 Aug 2009 , 10:57pm by sugarsugargal

pursuing_perfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pursuing_perfection Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 4:15pm
post #1 of 6

I had agreed to make a 3-D Hot Air Balloon Cake for a Bridal Shower (the couple had gotten engaged in a hot air balloon just outside of Paris). Well, I searched CC and asked a few questions, but obviously not enough questions! Since I couldn't arrange for a stand to be welded as DOUG suggested (would have worked the best), I came up with a different plan:

I used a dowel all the way through the center of the bottom two tiers and up into the balloon basket. Then I used dowels for the "ropes" on the balloon which extended from the balloon down to the bottom of the second tier. I obviously should have gone all the way to the bottom of the bottom layer, as my cake began to tip during the program. Just as they were concluding the program, I noticed that the cake was about to tip. icon_redface.gif Since, the couple had already done pictures with the cake at the start of the evening, I quickly disassembled the cake and moved it from the diplay table to the dessert buffet, and no one noticed. (Phewww!) You can see the tipped cake as the last additional pic of my 3-D Hot Air Balloon Cake pictures.

Perhaps there was another way I could have done this cake...if I am ever insane enough to try it again! icon_lol.gif

5 replies
CCCTina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CCCTina Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 4:27pm
post #2 of 6

That is adorable. I just took my first and probably last hot air balloon ride 2 weeks ago and now want to make one of these. I will keep your dowel advice in mind.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 4:41pm
post #3 of 6

Dowelling is tricky. You should always go to a stable surface. If you did not want to go to the bottom layer, a cake board would have kept the support you need.

The cake was beautiful and inspired. However, why did you put cake on top of the RKT balloon? The extra weight of the cake actually made the top want to tip over. In the future, use all RKT for the balloon and dowel all the way to the bottom and you shouldn't have any problems.

Loved the cake!

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 9:42pm
post #4 of 6

That cake is so adorable! I've been crewing for a hot air balloon for about 3 years now and I was just thinking about making a cake for my pilot - you have inspired me!

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 9:43pm
post #5 of 6

..and BTW, it looks like the balloon is taking off when it's at an angle! I think that looks awesome~

sugarsugargal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarsugargal Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 10:57pm
post #6 of 6

looks good to me icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%