Biting The Agbay Bullet...!

Decorating By grandmom Updated 11 Aug 2009 , 3:53pm by Peridot

grandmom Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 4:11pm
post #1 of 11

Oh, I lust after so many cake toys...!! There are so many wonderful things on my Wish List, such as all those SugarShack DVDs, The Cake Wheel, more pans... lots of good stuff. I even want to buy a bucket of all the ready-made fondants (except Wilton) to see how they taste and perform, and I want to try this and that...

But after a couple of weeks of serious meditation on what will give me the biggest bang for my buck, I've settled on the Agbay - and the Big One. GULP!! That's a lot of cash, but all ya'll can't be wrong about how great the thing is. Picking up the phone... so nervous...

10 replies
kelleym Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 4:55pm
post #2 of 11

You'll never regret it.

cylstrial Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 5:41pm
post #3 of 11

Totally love my Agbay! It's going to save you so much time!!

peg818 Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 5:47pm
post #4 of 11

I have the single blade model and have never regretted it. Most likely its the best cake investment i have ever made.

bobwonderbuns Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 6:07pm
post #5 of 11

It is hands down one of the top investments I've ever made. You will never regret it!! icon_biggrin.gif

costumeczar Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 7:07pm
post #6 of 11

I got one recently and I love it! My kids thought I was really weird for getting so excited about my "big knife" icon_twisted.gif

Peridot Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 7:34pm
post #7 of 11

Grandmom,

You know that I did the same thing today. Only I put the phone down and didn't order it. I am worried that I won't use it to justify the cost.

Besides torting do you Agbay users use it to level your cakes? I never have much success with leveling them when they are in the pan - still warm. And I don't do much better with a knife trying to level them.

Is it really worth the money and should I order the one or two blade? I am a hobby baker and don't do that many cakes. But I ruin more cakes trying to level them and torting is like a nightmare.

After reading what I wrote - why am I hesitating - I do need help!!

costumeczar Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 7:44pm
post #8 of 11

I've only used mine to level the cakes, not torte them, so far. It's well worth it, especially if you find the levelling really difficult. The only thing I'd say is that it's really big, so make sure you keep the box it comes in to store it. And don't cut yourself with it like I did! Also, buy the blade cleaner, it's worth the extra cost.

grandmom Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 10:03pm
post #9 of 11

I do level and torte all my cakes. I choked on the cost - several times. I too am a hobbyist at this point and won't be able to truly justify the cost - to anyone but myself! Here's my rationalization:

1) I like tools and gadgets. A lot. I'm almost powerless to resist them.
2) I hope to get licensed in a couple of years, so hubby and I agreed I should start collecting what I'll need now, when feasible.
3) Even hobby cakes should be level and appealing.
4) I made a heckuva mess and cussfest last cake.
5) An extravagance is a necessity of the heart!

So be it. Money's gone. Agbay's coming. No buyer's remorse here now that the deed is done. But it took a while to get to the point of picking up that phone.

peg818 Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 11:59pm
post #10 of 11

I'm a hobby baker, and to justify the cost. Well i justified by figuring if i had gone to convention that year i would have spent much more then the agbay. I do only have the single blade, and I don't regret buying it. I torte almost all my cakes and it just takes a little adjustment to lower it to torte my tiers. I just level all first before adjusting to torte.

Peridot Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 3:53pm
post #11 of 11

Well...I did it. I ordered the Agbay TODAY!!

The single blade with the cleaning tool. It should be here by Friday so I won't have a melt down again with my next cake. Now that I finally did it I am excited and can't wait to get it.

grandmom - you are right even if it is a hobby cake it deserves to get the best atention to detail that I can give it. My last cake was a disaster because of the leveling and torting and was cut into pieces and brought to work as a treat. My friend never got her birthday cake as I would not even consider deorating the cake when it did not meet my standards and belive me it was not pretty!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%