Need To Make Silver Disco Ball Cake....

Decorating By mndy204 Updated 10 Aug 2009 , 9:24pm by sugarshack

mndy204 Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 4:02pm
post #1 of 8

Hi all! I've been asked to do a disco ball cake in silver and I am really excited to do it, but am not sure how to with no air brush. Do you all have any ideas?

I have the sports ball pan and I use Michele Foster's fondant. I am just not sure how to get the sparkly silver on there.

Any help is soooooo much appreciated thank you!

7 replies
amyfj1 Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 4:17pm
post #2 of 8

After covering the ball in fondant, I would mix up silver luster dust and paint the ball and right before it drives maybe sprinkle dry luster dust onto it? I'm not really sure. I'll be curious to see what everyone suggests.

mndy204 Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 6:39pm
post #3 of 8

That's a good idea, thank you. I'm interested to see what others think too. I'd like to do a good job on this, but am kind of stuck.

flechedelor Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 6:49pm
post #4 of 8

To build on amyfj1's idea, cut the fontant into little squares that you place close together and cover with silver luster dust.

See link below for how Paula Dean did it to cupcakes
http://img.foodnetwork.com/FOOD/2007/10/05/IP0302_Disco_Ball_Cupcakes_lg.jpg

chanda Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 7:13pm
post #5 of 8

Hi I have been thinking about attempting to make an edible mirror. I ordered some isomalt and I am going to make it into a flat shape then try to put some edible silver leaf on it. Don't know if it works, but if it does it'd look great on a disco ball!!!!

amberc75 Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 7:45pm
post #6 of 8

If you REALLY want it to sparkle....

And it is a DISCO ball... right?

I've got two words for you....

DISCO DUST icon_lol.gif

mndy204 Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 8:12pm
post #7 of 8

Thank you all! I'm hoping I can do a good job! Can I get disco dust by...say Friday? Global Sugar Art is out of stock and all we get around here in stores is Wilton stuff. Any suggestions?

sugarshack Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 9:24pm
post #8 of 8

i have one in my photos that is styro but can be done the same way in cake. i used tons of little gray fondant squares dry dusted with nu silver. add disco if u want it to reallt bling!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%