Dont Fly With Fondant In Suitcase

Decorating By msmeg Updated 17 Aug 2009 , 6:54am by quilting2011

sandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandy Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 3:14pm
post #31 of 47

Well, Msmeg, maybe if you gave your leftover fondant to your nieces to play with, your sister wouldn't have to bring fondant home from California! icon_biggrin.gif

Sorry all, I couldn't resist! I'm previously just a lurker, but saw this topic and had to reply. I'm the sister in California.

A bit off topic, but these forums were invaluable to me in making my granddaughter's cake! I make cakes infrequently and it had been a few years. I'd never worked with fondant before or heard of SPS, etc. Thanks to my sister's gumpaste flowers and all the CC advice, my cake was a success. It's the only one in my photos, if anyone would like to see our combined effort. Thanks again, Meg!

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 3:18pm
post #32 of 47

Glad to see you post Sandy! Come on now...come out of Lurkerville icon_smile.gif

Jen icon_smile.gif

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 5:37pm
post #33 of 47

I have an observation about my own experiences flying in the last 9 years.

I would, no doubt, be pulled aside to have my carry on luggage searched. Most of the time nothing really set it off, but my ticket was marked to pull me aside.

This stopped when I updated my driver's license to my new address. Previously, all my documentation stated I lived in Gary, IN. After I got my new documentation, I stopped getting pulled aside.

Another funny story. I had a keychain that could be used as a self-defense weapon. It was in the shape of a cat's head, and I totally forgot about it. I flew TO Las Vegas, and FROM Las Vegas, and it wasn't until we had a layover in Michigan that it was confiscated. I was mortified, because I really had forgotten about it, but the man just said, "It's really cute, but we can't let you keep it." I pretended that it was nothing more than a cute keychain. *ahem*

KSMill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KSMill Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 6:10pm
post #34 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanaj

I also had tons of decorating tools, spatulas, even an exacto in the check in. I couldn't believe they didn't stop me. I was totally prepared to be treated like a menace but all I had was a security note in my bag saying they had inspected it.

I can't believe they didn't stop you! Even several years ago, I lost a manicure set because they thought it was a weapon. I know this whole process with the fondant must have been upsetting, but sorry...I just could help but laugh when I saw the subject of the post.

rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 9:38pm
post #35 of 47

this has made me laugh. but i can see the importance of the job the security do. but why do they not think first and check the other things in the luggage? icon_eek.gif

lovely cake made by the two ladies, but i would never get the chance to travel with any left over fondant as my Daughter always steals it to play with icon_mad.gif all i have to do is turn my back and she snaffles it from under my nose icon_lol.gif

quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 3:40pm
post #36 of 47

I am for TSA security collecting anything that may look like a weapon.

We were 5 blocks from 9-11 event. We had friends/Family that passed away from world Trade Center.

I am for TSA confiscating anything that looks like a weapon.

In my opinion, I would rather have a TSA take fondant pack, cake tips etc from a passenger.

My husband had coworker that died there. I am fortunate he was out of town on business that day.

That is why the TSA is there. Too prevent a crazy passenger bringing something on the plane.

If your not sure check the item in.

Gefion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gefion Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 4:29pm
post #37 of 47

I was stopped in Moscow Airport with juice bricks. It took forever to get through, and they barely spoke English. In the end my bag got a sticker slapped on that said my "dangerous items" were safe.

I guess it did look a bit odd dragging 12 cartons of juice with me home, but I really loved that juice and wanted to stock up icon_lol.gif

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 5:20pm
post #38 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy

Well, Msmeg, maybe if you gave your leftover fondant to your nieces to play with, your sister wouldn't have to bring fondant home from California! icon_biggrin.gif

Sorry all, I couldn't resist! I'm previously just a lurker, but saw this topic and had to reply. I'm the sister in California.

A bit off topic, but these forums were invaluable to me in making my granddaughter's cake! I make cakes infrequently and it had been a few years. I'd never worked with fondant before or heard of SPS, etc. Thanks to my sister's gumpaste flowers and all the CC advice, my cake was a success. It's the only one in my photos, if anyone would like to see our combined effort. Thanks again, Meg!

Your cake came out very beautiful

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 10:06pm
post #39 of 47

I've traveled with fondant. buttercream, cake you name it I had it and no problem. They did go through it and opened my coloring and didn't put the top tight and some of it spilled.

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 10:26pm
post #40 of 47

You know I was just thinking about this very thing since I am flying to Texas for Aine2's class! I checked with the hotel to see if I could just mail myself a box with my cake supplies in it. They said sure, and they'd even put it in the safe until I arrived there. I just mail to the hotel ATTN myself. I would hate to have all my stuff taken away from me after I have to haul it from KS to TX!!! But I do get the TSA's thing about it!. Now how am I gonna handle my finished bride and groom is my next question? Maybe I will mail that home too. Wish me luck!!!

Tanya

Mickey17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickey17 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 10:32pm
post #41 of 47

I think that there is a HUGE difference with checking the stuff in your bag or trying to bring it in your carryon. You can't bring an Exacto knife in your carry on. You are more then welcome to check it. I checked my fondant and didn't even have anyone check the bag at all. I would imagine it is like playdoh, you can totally tell the difference in an x-ray machine based on the density between it and plastique.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 10:38pm
post #42 of 47

I found that out this summer too! Found an inspection notice and looked like they had opened and taken some of the fondant out. Gumpaste was open and a bug crawling around on the lid.

I labelled everything with notes for the return trip but still had an inspection note!

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 11:32pm
post #43 of 47

Yes it's best that you check your bag instead of carry on.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 1:37am
post #44 of 47

Oh my!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 3:50am
post #45 of 47

Some of the gums and glycerin used in fondants and gum paste -(and some make-ups & lotions) set off the "sniffers" used on luggage---both in checked and carry-on luggage. They have the same chemical footprint as certain bomb making materials.

I have no problem with them looking--just put the lids back on properly, PLEASE!

I have a big problem with them "pulling rank", especially when they are embarrassed because the item they chose to scrutinize was benign and non-threatening.
I have a big problem with them being rude in order to show that they have power.
I have a big problem with them assuming that I'm being difficult when I ask them to tell me what they think they see so that I can tell them exactly where it is in the bag---so that they don't break once-in-a-lifetime trip souvenirs, or rummage thru a bag for nothing (happened in LA one time--the guy had no idea what he was looking for, looted the bag to the point where it couln't be zipped without completely re-packing it, and FOUND NOTHING AT ALL!--no apology, either)
I have a brig problem with IDIOT excuses for senseless pat down searches--I walked thru the detector, NOTHING BEEPED OR LIT UP, the woman tells me that I set it off-NOT--wands me 3 TIMES and NO BEEPS--I say, "I didn't set it off the first time."--SHE SAYS (straight faced, no less),"Oh, the credit card strip in your pocket set it off...."--Yeah, right. I know BS when I smell it, honey. I laughed right at her.

I have a big problem with the incredible lack of consistency between airports. With the tome of rules that they have, they should all be doing THE SAME THING--not making stuff up as they go along.

Ok, off the soapbox.
Rae

quilting2011 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 6:52am
post #46 of 47

Edit

quilting2011 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 6:54am
post #47 of 47

Edit

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%