Indydebi's Crisco-Based Buttercream Icing Vs. Fondant

Decorating By Frecklepuss Updated 10 Aug 2009 , 3:14pm by leah_s

Frecklepuss Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 2:56pm
post #1 of 3

I am making a 3 tiered cake for my brothers wedding this Saturday. So far it has been pretty humid here (okay.. disgustingly humid) the last couple of days. To be safe I want to decorate the cake for the OUTDOOR wedding banking on humidity.

Which would be my best bet? Indydebi's Crisco-Based Buttercream Icing (which I love) or fondant?

Also ... will my royal icing trees and gum paste figures hold up in humidity?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. this cake is travelling 5 hours in a car to the wedding destination the day before the wedding (unassembled) and although I will have it in a cool place in the car and it will be air conditioned Friday night it will most likely be pretty warm for most of the day on Saturday

2 replies
emiyeric Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 3:12pm
post #2 of 3

I've never had any problems with gumpaste holding up (103 degree weather, no problem), and Indydebi's buttercream is famous for its durability. My fondant bubbles have only ever come out of craftmanship errors and not out of heat, but you can definitiely get bubbles under your fondant if your cake sits out. That being said, I do love how easy it is to transport fondant ... buttercream always makes me nervous as far as ruining the perfect finish too easily if the cake gets jostled a little. Good luck!

leah_s Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 3:14pm
post #3 of 3

The Whipped Cream Buttercream icing recipe in the Recipes section is heat and humidity stable.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%