Lounge By -Tubbs Updated 14 Aug 2009 , 8:43pm by AverageMom

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 1:56pm
post #1 of 29

I'll go first!!
---------- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.02

http://www.yelp.com/topic/los-angeles-high-calorie-high-sodium-recipes

Next..?

Mod edited to replace copyright material with link to recipe.

28 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 2:04pm
post #2 of 29

HOG HEAD CHEESE (from Cooks.com)

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1626,144187-250192,00.html

-Tubbs Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 2:13pm
post #3 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

HOG HEAD CHEESE
Clean hog head by removing eyes, ears and brains. Saw into 4 pieces .

GAG....Ok, you took it to a whole other level...

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 2:13pm
post #4 of 29

any kind of 'dump cake' or 'jello poke cake'.

I get so grossed out.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 2:14pm
post #5 of 29
Quote:

tapedshut.gificon_eek.gificon_lol.gif GAG!

Texas_Rose Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 2:15pm
post #6 of 29

LOL...sorry...I love old cookbooks and some of the things they have recipes for are even worse. I remember when I wanted to make some cinnamon buns and I looked up Sweet Breads, but it was Sweetbreads instead. Sweetbreads=guts icon_sad.gif For a whole month I didn't look up anything else in that book.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 5:34pm
post #7 of 29

HA HA! Texas Rose my mom ate sweetbreads last year with her friend at a fancy restaurant. Her friend wouldn't tell her what it actually was. When she came home she called me. I said I would tell her in a few weeks. When she brought it up again I told her what it actually was. She turned a few shades lighter. I told her that's why I waited a month to tell her cause I knew she would puke.

I hate hate hate jello, can't stand the stuff. I've seen a recipe where meat, veggies and jello are mixed together in a dish. The jello is not used to hold this together either but as a main component *GAG*.

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 5:51pm
post #8 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

I've seen a recipe where meat, veggies and jello are mixed together in a dish. The jello is not used to hold this together either but as a main component

Oh now that's just not right.

BTW... sweetbreads aren't just 'guts'. They are actually glands.... the thymus and the pancreas of beef, lamb or pork.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 6:17pm
post #9 of 29

and sometimes the heart is added into sweetbreads also.
--my poor mom can't even hear the word sweetbreads without turning green now icon_lol.gif

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 4:07pm
post #10 of 29

You need to watch the Vicar of Dibley, one of the characters makes weird dishes.

Letitia Cropley (Liz Smith), the queen of Cordon Bleurgh, famous for her idiosyncratic recipes such as bread and butter pudding surprise (a recipe for which she was breeding snails), Marmite cakes (which she served for Franks birthday), chocolate mixed with cod roe, parsnip brownies and chocolate spread sandwiches (with a hint of taramasalata).

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 7:52pm
post #11 of 29

Haggis is a dish containing sheep's 'pluck' (heart, liver and lungs), minced with onion, oatmeal, suet, spices, and salt, mixed with stock, and traditionally boiled in the animal's stomach for approximately three hours.

-Tubbs Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 8:42pm
post #12 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjsgirl

Haggis ....

I've eaten haggis. It's not that bad actually, although you wouldn't want to eat much of it... Love the new avatar, BTW!

Ok, so these are 'bad' but unusual recipes. The one I first mentioned seems to be for a 'regular' family to eat (as opposed to a cliched Scottish family, a family from 1603 (who are the only ones who could possibly have ever eaten sweetbreads or hog's head cheese with a straight face), Mormons (seems to be a high prevalence of jello-based cuisine in Utah), or a family of people with no sense of taste (snail cake etc)(actually, maybe just no sense at all...)

This is going pretty well, but I'd love to see some more recipes from regular cookbooks which make you go "WHAT?!!"

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 8:54pm
post #13 of 29

My daughter made a weight watcher's recipe for brownies that was made with refried beans. I dont' know, but when I think of a nice gooey brownie, maybe topped with some chocolate fudge icing, the ingredient of BEANS never comes to mind! (and personally, they tasted nasty!)

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 10:19pm
post #14 of 29

Worked at a meat market, once upon a time. One of the things we sold was souse icon_surprised.gif Here is a recipe for you to look at:

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1630,144177-245195,00.html

It is truly disgusting!!!!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 10:28pm
post #15 of 29

Chicken Feet Paprikas:

http://tinyurl.com/qwhpla

(As a bonus, some feel it will increase breast size.) icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Chicken Feet and Rice:

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1642,157191-232196,00.html

My Mom used to eat chicken feet when we were young (and still on the farm).

Enjoy the occasion gizzard or liver, but you can have my share of the feet... tapedshut.gif

indydebi Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 10:31pm
post #16 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

Chicken Feet Paprikas:

http://tinyurl.com/qwhpla

(As a bonus, some feel it will increase breast size.) icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Yeah, well, chickens DO have little feet and big breasts!!

Texas_Rose Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 10:37pm
post #17 of 29

There was a boy I dated in high school whose mom was a really traditional cook. One day I was helping her carry her groceries in, and she had a frozen hog's head in the trunk, complete with protruding, frozen tongue and icy, staring eyeballs. She was making tamales.

And I love tamales...but every time I have pork tamales that I haven't made, I think about that hog's head and wonder what's in them.

-Tubbs Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 10:55pm
post #18 of 29
Quote:

There was a boy I dated in high school whose mom was a really traditional cook. One day I was helping her carry her groceries in, and she had a frozen hog's head in the trunk, complete with protruding, frozen tongue and icy, staring eyeballs. She was making tamales.

And I love tamales...but every time I have pork tamales that I haven't made, I think about that hog's head and wonder what's in them.

..like good old fashioned British Bangers (sausages), "made with ear-oles 'n' arse'oles" or "Everything but the oink."

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 11:10pm
post #19 of 29

Absolutely anything made from this cookbook:

Mod edited for content. (We're talking about foods commonly recognized by the USDA.)

Icccckkkkk. Bleeech. I don't know any other words.

JanH Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 11:11pm
post #20 of 29

Oohh, Blood Sausage/Black Pudding recipe:
(Which I've never tried...)

http://www.ochef.com/r286.htm

Don't think there'll be any food item that Andrew Zimmern wouldn't eat, though. icon_rolleyes.gif

Duck's Blood Soup:
(Which I've had, and it really tastes like prunes.)

http://easteuropeanfood.about.com/od/polishsoups/r/czarnina.htm

-Tubbs Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 11:26pm
post #21 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageMom

Absolutely anything made from this cookbook:

Mod edited for content. (We're talking about foods commonly recognized by the USDA.)

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif I got to it before the Mod!! Already put that on my Christmas list!!!

AverageMom Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 12:25am
post #22 of 29

I figured it would be edited, but thought I'd give it a shot...I'm really, really glad I'm not on your Christmas list, Tubbs!!

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 12:58am
post #23 of 29

"Everything but the oink" LOLOLOL!! icon_lol.gif

OK what about normal foods that are just gross. My mom used to ALWAYS make "Jello Salad" - lime jello with grated carrots and canned pineapple chunks inside. Topped with a dollop of Miracle Whip.

Gleck!!!

p.s. my family background was pretty "regular" i.e. no affiliation with any "traditional," local, ethnic or religious cuisine...so your Utah/Mormon Jello speculation doesn't fly. icon_wink.gif This WAS a regular, everyday recipe!

indydebi Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 1:26am
post #24 of 29

ceshell, I'm with you. Mayo and Jello .... who the heck thought THAT was a good combo? icon_confused.gif

Marina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marina Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 2:58am
post #25 of 29
Quote:

My husband and his biological sister found each other (she was given up for adoption-long story) about 5 years ago. She lives in Canada with her husband and daughters. We went up there for Christmas that year and was having dinner over at her in-laws house. Her MIL made Head Cheese for her husband. We didn't know what it was (and quite frankly, it looked disgusting). My husband didn't want to offend her MIL so he tried some. He really didn't care for it, but told MIL that it was good. When we go up there now, the MIL always makes a big plate for my husband! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

maryjsgirl Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 3:07am
post #26 of 29

A sandwich my mother makes....

2 slices of bread
peanut butter
Miracle Whip

She made me one once as a child. I accuse her of child abuse to this day for that disgusting thing. icon_wink.gif

Any recipe that combines meat and fruit grosses me out. Pineapple and ham pizza? *gags*

maryjsgirl Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 3:09am
post #27 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbsCookies

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjsgirl

Haggis ....

I've eaten haggis. It's not that bad actually, although you wouldn't want to eat much of it... Love the new avatar, BTW!

Thanks, I am addicted to these yearbook photos. You should see the ones for all of my kids! icon_lol.gif

JanH Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 3:35am
post #28 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

ceshell, I'm with you. Mayo and Jello .... who the heck thought THAT was a good combo? icon_confused.gif

Oh my, I love Jello in all shapes and forms!!! I have a huge collection of Jello cookbooks. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Don't know about the lime Jello, carrots and pineapple salad. I prefer my Sunshine Salad with either lemon or orange Jello.
And I've never had straight mayo as a dressing. Usually it's a combination of Mayo/Miracle Whip and whipped cream (light on the M/MW, heavy on the wc).

Also, headcheese isn't a favorite but it's not bad. Has the texture of Knox Blocks (or high school cafeteria jello).

Seems food likes/dislikes really are formed in childhood.

AverageMom Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 8:43pm
post #29 of 29

Eggplant was a horror to avoid in my childhood. My mom made it with a tomato sauce, green peppers, and onions. The only thing worse, to me, was grated zuchini patties. Bleeeech!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%