Need Help With An Idea....labor Day & Housewarming

Decorating By tiggerjo Updated 10 Aug 2009 , 4:30pm by cas17

tiggerjo Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 1:48pm
post #1 of 7

My companion (hate the term boyfriend) and I just set up housekeeping together and are going to have a Labor Day get together so his family and mine can meet. I would like to make a nice cake but Labor Day has no real theme. Any ideas??? Remember I am a newbie so be gentle with me.

6 replies
Doug Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 2:22pm
post #2 of 7

labor all about taking one last break before the grind of deary fall days, weeks, month.

In NYC also the traditional end of summer and start of school

was originally a holiday to celebrate "the worker" -- the nameless, faceless masses toiling away in factories.

anything with summer BBQ and summer fun.

closed signs -- on pools, on beaches, on amusement parks -- all those summer fun things and a big open sign on a school.

person in hammock or any other relaxed state.

calendar with "next day off -- Thanksgiving!"

if want to go out there fun:

looks like a hamburger
or a steak on the BBQ (or even a raw steak)

tiggerjo Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 2:46pm
post #3 of 7

love the calendar idea...but how depressing. I think I will go wiith the BBQ grill and a couple of little birds in a nest (as in welcome to our nest). Will need more than one cake so a practice session is coming. thanks

cas17 Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 2:52pm
post #4 of 7

i wasn't looking but thanks for the cool ideas doug!! always great have ideas for a future cake : )

Doug Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 3:27pm
post #5 of 7

birdies have built a nest in the BBQ -- one of those kettle grill types -- and all the humans are looking upset!

tiggerjo Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 3:32pm
post #6 of 7

I don't know about the human thing, my molding skills are still very shakey

cas17 Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 4:30pm
post #7 of 7

lol, that would be a cute cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%