Egg Allergy - Substitute For Meringue Powder?

Baking By AnitaK Updated 11 Aug 2009 , 4:35am by AnitaK

AnitaK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnitaK Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 1:48pm
post #1 of 8

Does anyone know what to use as a substitute for the meringue powder when an egg allergy is at issue?

7 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 1:58pm
post #2 of 8

What are you putting it in? If you're trying to make royal icing, that's not going to work without egg white or meringue powder, but if you're making buttercream, you can leave out the meringue powder without any problems.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 2:02pm
post #3 of 8

I agree with texas rose

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 2:49pm
post #4 of 8

I thought meringue powder was pretty much just dried egg whites?

I know there are vegan cakebooks out there, they should have some recipes that are sans eggs.

AnitaK Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 12:50am
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

What are you putting it in? If you're trying to make royal icing, that's not going to work without egg white or meringue powder, but if you're making buttercream, you can leave out the meringue powder without any problems.

Sorry I should have been specific - for now the issue is buttercream icing, next month it may be royal icing. I'll try leaving it out of the buttercream - I thought the meringue makes the icing crust?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 1:37am
post #6 of 8

I've tried the Wilton recipe and nothing makes it crust for me...when they changed the recipe to include meringue powder I tried that too...still no crusting.

This is the one I use: http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6992-Indydebis-Crisco-Based-Buttercream-Icing.html It tastes wonderful, crusts very well, and I just looked up the dream whip ingredients and there are no eggs.

About the royal icing...I don't think you can make royal without egg or meringue powder. If you're wanting to use it on cookies, maybe you could use fondant instead.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 2:45am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnitaK

I thought the meringue makes the icing crust?

Nope. Crusting is a result of the ratio of fat to sugar. I've never used MP in my icing and it crusts fine.

AnitaK Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 4:35am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnitaK

I thought the meringue makes the icing crust?

Nope. Crusting is a result of the ratio of fat to sugar. I've never used MP in my icing and it crusts fine.

Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%