The Lowdown On Gum Tex And Mmf?

Decorating By Clovers Updated 11 Aug 2009 , 1:57pm by Clovers

Clovers Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 1:33pm
post #1 of 6

I was going to get gum tex to add to my MMF to make gum paste this weekend, but when I read the label, it seemed like I had to make up their recipe for it to work, including adding glycerin in to the mix - I had been under the impression that I can just add it into my MMF while I'm making it, and it will help make it firmer and easier to work with for stiff decorations etc. Am I wrong, or can I do that?

5 replies
Alery Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 5:17pm
post #2 of 6

I have added gum tex to my mmf and used it as gumpaste with no problems

Clovers Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 7:46pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks for answering Alery! How much did you add to how much MMF? I don't want to add too much and turn my MMF into a concrete brick! icon_smile.gif

Alery Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 10:23pm
post #4 of 6

It doesn't take a lot. I think the measurements I have seen were 1 tsp gumtex to 12 oz fondant, so thats about what I use. I don't measure it out, I just take about 1/3 of my mmf and mix in about 1 tsp. Good luck.

diane Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 10:24pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alery

It doesn't take a lot. I think the measurements I have seen were 1 tsp gumtex to 12 oz fondant, so thats about what I use. I don't measure it out, I just take about 1/3 of my mmf and mix in about 1 tsp. Good luck.

i too, have done the same thing...didn't have to follow their recipe! icon_razz.gif

Clovers Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 1:57pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks so much!

I was too hesitant to get it, and spent all last night making an MMF dinosaur and half that time was spent trying to keep the pieces from drooping - gumpaste would have been handy! Now I know I can do it! Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%