Does Anyone Know Of A Great Scratch Chocolate Cake Recipe?

Baking By TracyLH Updated 17 Aug 2009 , 12:16pm by TracyLH

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 12:54pm
post #1 of 22

Hi! Well, usually I test recipe after recipe before doing something, but I need to make a scratch chocolate cake this morning (hopefully) and don't have enough time to play. I see there are several in the recipes section, but was wondering if someone wouldn't mind sharing which one they like?

Thanks for your help!
Tracy

21 replies
vicki3336 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicki3336 Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 1:17pm
post #2 of 22

We just had the great scratch-off - chocolate cakes last month. It's posted in the general forum. Toba Garret's chocolate was a favorite and was chosen top out of four cakes I made for my family's taste test. I, personally, also really liked the flavor of the Softasilk cake, though the texture is light and wouldn't be good for carving or covering with fondant. The recipes are on page 5. I would post a link for you, but can't seem to figure out how to.

Btw, I LOVE your cookies...been a fan for quite a while!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 1:18pm
post #3 of 22

THe one on the side of Hershey Cocoa can. Even *I* can't screw that one up! icon_lol.gif

Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 1:25pm
post #4 of 22

My favorite chocolate cake recipe is Hershey's. It is on the back of the cocoa box. I use it all the time and it is great. It's a very moist cake so I wouldn't use it for carving. The frosting recipe is great too!

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 2:07pm
post #5 of 22

For a scratch recipe, I LOVE Dorie Greenspan's Devil's Food Cake, I make it with Shaffren Berger chocolate, so it's gets expensive, but yummmmm. I like it even better when it's served cold, it gets dense and fudgy, but is fluffy and delicious at room temp as well.

TracyLH Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 2:53pm
post #6 of 22

Oh, you are all so very helpful! Thankyou!!

Vicki - I will try to find that post. My searches aren't doing well. icon_lol.gif I also can't find topics I have posted on, but am not watching. Oh, well!

Indydebi & Tiffany - Okay, that recipe has really come up this morning! As I wasn't getting a response at first, I started looking around on the internet and a chocolate cake by Ina Garten got great reviews. As it turns out, it is the same recipe you are talking about, except with coffee instead of the water and buttermilk instead of the milk. So, it looks like the side of the Hershey's can is a really good one. icon_biggrin.gif Thanks for your expert opinions. It always helps to get thumbs-up from someone you trust. thumbs_up.gif Do you recommend the regular Hershey's or the Special Dark? I will have to skip on Ina's Callebaut. icon_lol.gif My daughter is learning to bake and wants to make cupcake pops with it.

Fullhouse - Oh, that sounds mighty yummy!

Tiffany29 Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 4:58pm
post #7 of 22

I use the regular I have neveer seen the dark, but i'm sure it will work. I also have tried other brands of cocoa(Saco is a great brand) and they all work great with this recipe. icon_smile.gif

TracyLH Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 5:54pm
post #8 of 22

Thanks, Tiffany! (and cute avatar pic!)

Tiffany29 Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 12:23am
post #9 of 22

you're welcome! Good luck and thanks, that's my bug-a-boo!

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 1:14am
post #10 of 22

Here's the scratch-off post! http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-639593-.html

Personally, if you're not going to buy gourmet cocoa (which btw is practically the same price if you buy this - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0019SAT94/?tag=cakecentral-20 - you just have to buy a bunch at once but it works out to a pretty cheap per-8oz price....if you take advantage of the 99c shipping til 8/31!!) then I would say get the dark, since it's dutch processed (I THINK???). One of the people in the scratch off rated the cake I LOVE, which is the most chocolatey cake I've ever eaten, as 'not very chocolatey'...but she used regular cocoa. If you only have regular cocoa the Hershey's recipe might be your best bet since it's obviously engineered to taste good with the normal stuff icon_smile.gif

TracyLH Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 12:18pm
post #11 of 22

Tiffany - and she is a cute bug-a-boo!

Ceshell - Thanks so much for posting both the thread and for the info on a better cocoa. You are completely right about buying in quantity being cheaper than the market shelf items. My Nielsen-Massey Madagascar vanilla works out cheaper when bought in 1 qt through www.surfasonline.com vice at the store for the McCormick. The interesting thing though is that Cook's Illustrated rated the McCormick higher. Wouldn't have guessed that!

Thanks again for all of your help!! I will check out that posting and the cocoa!

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 12:39pm
post #12 of 22

I am just popping on here so forgive me, but.....
my mom loves the Hersheys can cake. I don't. I think it has that
distinctive taste of Hersheys. Sorry, can't describe it. And then if you top that with their frosting, well, my mom is in Heaven with it, but I'm not a fan. So once again....to each their own!

TracyLH Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 12:48pm
post #13 of 22

Thanks, Vicki! We made the modified Hershey's recipe yesterday (Ina's version with coffee) and will give it a taste test today. I do agree that ingredients can make a big difference. This is a test for my daughter's cupcake pops, but I will try a variety of recipes and chocolates to then have a variety of chocolate recipes depending upon the need. Thanks for your thoughts!

MBHazel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBHazel Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 1:16pm
post #14 of 22

I'm sure you already know this, but the switch to coffee from water will make the chocolate taste richer, the buttermilk instead of regular milk makes for a softer texture.

As far as the Dark chocolate, I guess I have more simple taste and prefer the regular. The DARK can come off a bit bittter and some people (like me, don't have that sophisticated a palate, which means they might think you goofed up the recipe.) I would test with Dark Chocolate before a made it for someone else. Voice of past experience, I made one that turned out beautiful but tasted so bitter that I threw it out and wouldn't take to the office party. I made another one. icon_biggrin.gif

TracyLH Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 1:19pm
post #15 of 22

Ah, thanks for the heads-up! icon_biggrin.gif We used the dark and will do a taste test righ now before proceeding.

TracyLH Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 1:26pm
post #16 of 22

MBHazel - Hmm... I just tried it and I liked the flavor, but it is really moist. It might not work for her cupcake pops as she needs to break it into a fine crumb and putting this into a food processor might spell disaster. I think we will try it without the buttermilk as you said that makes it more moist. Thanks for your help!

muderick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muderick Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 12:05am
post #17 of 22

My absolute favourite is one of Nigella Lawsons, http://www.nigella.com/recipe/recipe_detail.aspx?rid=191

Made it loads, lovely and soft and squishy but I often use a different icing.

M

It's a big cake by the way!

TracyLH Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 10:15am
post #18 of 22

Thanks, Muderick! I will give it a whirl. We do love to experiment around here. icon_biggrin.gif

muderick Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 6:58am
post #19 of 22

Let me know how it goes Tracy.

For reference, the icing I use is made from condensed milk, plain chocolate and a little butter. Heart attack on a plate but quick and effective.

Regards

M

TracyLH Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 10:38am
post #20 of 22

We wll! Thanks, again! Oh, and the frosting sounds delish!

muderick Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 12:15pm
post #21 of 22

Here's what you need for the icing I mentioned. Plenty to fill and cover a big cake but needs to set in the fridge really.

150gm dark chocolate, best if over 80% cocoa
50 gm unsalted butter
285gm condensed milk (this is about 3/4 of the tin which is odd)

melt condensed milk, chocolate in dish over simmering water. Remove from heat and stir in butter until melted. Leave to cool for about 5 minutes or until you think it's right (you're all experts here!) and use to top the cake or muffins.

M

TracyLH Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 12:16pm
post #22 of 22

Thanks so much! I hadn't wanted to ask, so I really appreciate you taking the time to do that! icon_biggrin.gif We will give it a try! Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%