Yipes! Cake Stacking 101

Decorating By TexasDreamz Updated 25 Aug 2009 , 12:13am by scrappin-baker

TexasDreamz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasDreamz Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 12:51pm
post #1 of 17

I am not a baker and did not sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night ... so I need some advice.

Experience: I have made about 5 cakes in 40 years with one of those being fondant. I made a batch of gum paste yesterday, but have never molded anything with it.

Goal: I want to make an "Ace of Cakes" style school bus for a non-profit organization my wife and I volunteer for.

Progress: I have a cardboard mock-up of the bus (8.5"W x 17"L x 8" H) and I printed out templates for windows, lights and such. I will also be constructing a two-tier cake stand so the bus tires will sit on the bottom layer and the bus will be elevated just like the real thing. I have gum paste/fondant/icing made. It looks pretty cool on board/paper, but executing the idea is more daunting than just planning.

Problem: Cake stacking. Ideally, I can just stack 4 layers of cake one on top of the other, but I hear horror stories about cakes collapsing under their own weight. Can I actually stack 4 layers of cake without support? thumbsdown.gifthumbs_up.gif

Any assistance, ideas or comments are welcome.

Thank you for your time!!!

16 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 12:57pm
post #2 of 17

You need support for every 4" of cake height. So if your bus is 8" high, then in the middle you will have a cake board and dowels underneath. Not only does it make it less likely to fall over, it will make it easier to serve...imagine trying to get an 8" high slice of cake on a plate icon_biggrin.gif

I don't know what materials you're using for the cake stand, but you could manage the part with the wheels by using foamcore boards cut to size and glued together. Personally I would cover them with the same thing you're using to cover the cake board (my favorite cake board covering is fondant and then glue a ribbon around the edge). Another good thing about using a stack of foamcore boards is that they would provide a good support for your center dowel.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 1:00pm
post #3 of 17

Oh, I forgot to add...for any silver details on your bus (chrome lug nuts, window frames, etc...), Amerimist silver airbrush color is the best. You can paint it on with a paintbrush. Also, to get a glassy look on the windshield and windows, you might try confectioner's glaze, but don't forget to buy a bottle of thinner too so you can get the confectioner's glaze off of your paintbrush.

I saw that you're in TX...if you happen to live in San Antonio, you can get that stuff at American Gift Shoppe at 1604 and Blanco.

TexasDreamz Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 2:40pm
post #4 of 17

Texas Rose,
Being from Texas I thought the 8" slices were kinda small.

Thanks for the information.
icon_biggrin.gif

Omicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omicake Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 7:54pm
post #5 of 17

100% with Texas_Rose recommendations.

TexasDreamz Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 12:22am
post #6 of 17

Thank you for the helpful hints.

Here is how the cake came out
LL
LL
LL
LL

mjk350 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjk350 Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 12:30am
post #7 of 17

That looks fantastic!!! You did a great job!!! thumbs_up.gif

enoid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enoid Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 12:57am
post #8 of 17

I agree. You did a great job. You should be proud of your accomplishment.

asmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asmith Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 1:07am
post #9 of 17

Very impressive!

makaylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makaylee Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 1:36am
post #10 of 17

wow that cake turned out great!!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 1:52am
post #11 of 17

Your cake turned out wonderful!! Congrats!!

TexasDreamz Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 3:44pm
post #12 of 17

Thank you for the kind words.

My wife did all the "heavy lifting" as she is the artistic one. It turned out much better than I could have ever imagined.

yamber82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamber82 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 3:53pm
post #13 of 17

it looks great! but did you notice on the side it says "pus" instead of "bus"

TexasDreamz Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 5:38pm
post #14 of 17

That was corrected before the bus went out .... the "B" die was horrible so we used the "P" and then added the bottom _) to complete the word.

yamber82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamber82 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 10:30pm
post #15 of 17

oh ok ,lol icon_smile.gif i figured you had to hve noticed, that's pretty funny. i've done that before with mispelling a name. i posted pix of the cake to facebook before leaving and a friend called and told me before i left so i could fix it but it's still wrong in the pix, lol icon_wink.gif silly me

lthiele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lthiele Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 10:47pm
post #16 of 17

Very cool cake - I bet the recipients were thrilled! thumbs_up.gif

scrappin-baker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrappin-baker Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 12:13am
post #17 of 17

Oh my goodness!! That cake is too cute!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%