Cake Assemble Question???

Decorating By beady2232 Updated 14 Aug 2009 , 10:36pm by rockytop

beady2232 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beady2232 Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 12:48pm
post #1 of 3

Hello, I am new to the whole cake decorating as well to these forums. I have learned so much by clicking through the previous posts already. I have a question on a timeline for assembling a cake. I live in GA and am traveling home this weekend for my nieces first birthday. I wanted to make her a 'gift box' cake. I originally was going to have my mom get me all the supplies and at least have the cake already baked when I get there. However, after thinking about it, I have all the stuff I need at my house. So I want to prepare the cake at my house and then fly to OH with the cake. I have already checked with the TSA to make sure I will be able to bring the cake onboard with me. So my original plan was to bake the cake and assemble the fondant at my house Thursday night, and then board the plane Friday morning. Now I am thinking if I should at least bake the cake Thursday night and have the BC and fondant prepared and stored in air tight containers and travel on the plane that way (not assembled). Once I get to OH I will then crumb coat, fondant, and decorate. Any ideas from the masters? Thank you so much for your advice!

2 replies
jdub253 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdub253 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 10:12pm
post #2 of 3

I have found that adding the fondant makes the whole structure more stable. Perhaps bake, crumbcoat and apply the foundation layer of fondant, then take the fondant to decorate with you?...that way everything is all put together and you can just do the fun part when you get there. you should probably go ahead and dowel the cake too to help with stability.

Good Luck!

rockytop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockytop Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 10:36pm
post #3 of 3

That sounds like a good plan , but I hope that all the security personel says the same thing as the person on the phone . You may what to have a back up plan just in case you cant board with it.

Good luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%