When Do You Bake????? Please Help!!

Decorating By rachpizano Updated 10 Aug 2009 , 9:01pm by Janette

rachpizano Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 6:09am
post #1 of 12

My husband and I have been having a fierce fight lately over when to bake cakes. Right now we bake in Thursday for sat but lately we end up staying up all night to finish and its just NOOO fun. How far in advanced can you bake and the cake it still good and moist. We had a problem a year ago with some of our cakes being dry and Im sooo scared to go back to that again. Any ideas would be great.
THanks
"The Very tired cake decorator"
Rachel Pizano

11 replies
cakequeen50 Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 6:25am
post #2 of 12

my husband bakes on sunday and monday night for the weekend. He is baking now and he wraps the cakes up with plastic wrap and puts them in the big freezer and we ALWAYS have people tell us how moist our cakes are.

Rylan Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 7:48am
post #3 of 12

I sometimes bake a week in advance and store it in the freezer. It is all the matter of storing it properly to keep it moist.

Wrap it in layers of plastic wrap making sure it is sealed and then put it in a ziploc bag/freezer bag or foil the bigger ones.

leah_s Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 11:32am
post #4 of 12

what they said. Monday is baking day.

indydebi Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 12:07pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

what they said. Monday is baking day.

Ditto. The freezer is your friend, not your enemy. It adds moisture to the cake. The key is wrapping and thawing properly. (leave hte cake wrapped while it's thawing).

Deb_ Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 12:09pm
post #6 of 12

thumbs_up.gif Ditto to all the above. Except I'm still up late Friday/Saturday night decorating. icon_confused.gif I'm just a slow decorator, I guess icon_rolleyes.gificon_biggrin.gif

ThatsHowTcakesRolls Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 12:30pm
post #7 of 12

I bake on Thursdays like you. I do not freeze my cakes though so baking earlier is not an option. When I was working from home I was in the same situation of a long Thursday baking. In my shop I can bake 4 Wedding Cakes at a time in my oven so it does help. I had a few busy weekends where I had to start Wednesday evening because it was just too much. In that case - I would wrap the cakes really well after they were completely cooled and then make sure that I iced the cake I baked on Wednesday on Friday morning so that the moisture was trapped inside the cake. I never had any problems with cakes drying out either...I think wrapping is the key if you would like to start a bit earlier. And - if you do not have the freezer space (like I didn't) it should still be fine.

newnancy Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 12:33pm
post #8 of 12

I also freeze, sometimes for a couple of weeks & still stay fresh tasting. Just wrap very well. I wrap in a saran wrap & foil, then in a plastic bag (maybe overkill but I don't want to chance it).

ThisNameInUse Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 8:23pm
post #9 of 12

So if you bake, wrap, and freeze on say Monday, and your cake is due on Saturday, on what day would you thaw them to decorate?

After the cake is decorated, what do you do with it until it's delivery day?

Everyone says not to put fondant cakes in the fridge, but they do it on TV all the time icon_razz.gif

I want to know your minute by minute schedule! LOL!

3GCakes Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 8:39pm
post #10 of 12

I bake on Tuesday....Thaw on Thursday to have done by Friday...
Thaw on Friday to have done by Saturday

PennySue Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 9:00pm
post #11 of 12

I also freeze at least a week ahead, sometimes a little more. The cakes are hot when they are wrapped in plastic and put in the freezer. Seals in the moisture! I bake in the mornings so that all the messes are cleaned up before DH comes home.

Janette Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 9:01pm
post #12 of 12

I love that this thread came up. There are so many great responses.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%