Lots Of Questions About How Far Ahead To Make Things!!

Decorating By motherofgrace Updated 10 Aug 2009 , 4:36am by wendy1273

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 3:39am
post #1 of 6

hi there, if you have been reading my other post ( sister in law taking over!) you know that I have a big cake to make lol

Sorry so long!

first things first- when you torte a cake ( im sure this is what its called, cutting it in half to make 2 layers) is it better to cut it warm cooled or frozen?

how many days ahead can I make the cake and freeze it? and will it me "tough" when I thaw it?

how far ahead can I make buttercream icing?

If I want to freeze sugar cookies, do i freeze them raw, or baked?

And, all in all i am making a roasted pig, and was going to make the head out of rice kripspys because I thought they are easier to sculpt.... is this a good choice? if so, how hard is it to cover with MMF? if not... what ios a better Idea?

and last but not least, how can I get an airbrushed look without actually airbrushing? I dont have a machine!

Thank you very very VEEERRRY much, again sorry abotu all the questions, I usually make everything the day of!

5 replies
Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 3:56am
post #2 of 6

[quote="cake-diva1986"]hi there, if you have been reading my other post ( sister in law taking over!) you know that I have a big cake to make lol

Sorry so long!

first things first- when you torte a cake ( im sure this is what its called, cutting it in half to make 2 layers) is it better to cut it warm cooled or frozen?{/quote]

Wait until it's cool. You can cut it when it's frozen but it will be a lot harder to cut.

Quote:
Quote:

how many days ahead can I make the cake and freeze it? and will it me "tough" when I thaw it?

I'm not too sure about this as I don't freeze any of my cakes. I guess it would depend on how well you wrapped your cakes, how you thawed them and the type of cake.

Quote:
Quote:

You can do either or.

Quote:
Quote:

And, all in all i am making a roasted pig, and was going to make the head out of rice kripspys because I thought they are easier to sculpt.... is this a good choice? if so, how hard is it to cover with MMF? if not... what ios a better Idea?

and last but not least, how can I get an airbrushed look without actually airbrushing? I dont have a machine!

Thank you very very VEEERRRY much, again sorry abotu all the questions, I usually make everything the day of!

Cake_Princess Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 4:04am
post #3 of 6

[quote="cake-diva1986"]hi there, if you have been reading my other post ( sister in law taking over!) you know that I have a big cake to make lol

Sorry so long!

first things first- when you torte a cake ( im sure this is what its called, cutting it in half to make 2 layers) is it better to cut it warm cooled or frozen?{/quote]

Wait until it's cool. You can cut it when it's frozen but it will be a lot harder to cut.

Quote:
Quote:

I'm not too sure about this as I don't freeze any of my cakes. I guess it would depend on how well you wrapped your cakes, how you thawed them and the type of cake.

Quote:
Quote:

You can do either or.

Quote:
Quote:

Cake_Princess Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 4:06am
post #4 of 6

Oopsie! Double post.

flourpowerMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flourpowerMN Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 4:08am
post #5 of 6

I freeze cakes all the time...I find that they turn out more moist that way. Double wrap in Saran & put in a ziploc bag or tinfoil. You can put it in your refrigerator's freezer for a few weeks or longer if you have a deep freeze.

You can make BC several days ahead. Just be sure to let it come to room temp & re-mix.

Freeze your sugar cookies baked. Wrap individually, if possible. If not, put them in a tupperware-like container.

I torte my cakes when they are cooled, but there are tons of different opinions on this. Do whatever works for you.

I can't help you with the RKT or airbrushing questions though. Good luck with your cake!

wendy1273 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendy1273 Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 4:36am
post #6 of 6

hi there, if you have been reading my other post ( sister in law taking over!) you know that I have a big cake to make lol

Sorry so long!

first things first- when you torte a cake ( im sure this is what its called, cutting it in half to make 2 layers) is it better to cut it warm cooled or frozen?

When is Refrigerated is the best time.

Wrap the cake on plastic and foil well after the cake is cool and put it in the freezer, the cake can be in the freezer for months and once you take it out just let it thaw it a little before carve. I always freeze my cakes and when they thaw completely is nice and moist.

Depends on the buttercream, you can make it a few weeks before and keep it in the fridge.

Freeze them before baking..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%