Whipped Icing

Baking By ohayr639 Updated 12 Aug 2009 , 5:49pm by ohayr639

ohayr639 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ohayr639 Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 3:11am
post #1 of 8

Any advice anyone can give on whipped icing would be greatly appreciated. . . Like coloring it, a good recipe, decorating on it, etc. Thanks so much!!

7 replies
Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 2:39pm
post #2 of 8

Are you asking about a "whipped" buttercream or about a traditional "whipped cream" using heavy cream. (Whipped cream being what is used to top a sundae)

ohayr639 Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 5:06pm
post #3 of 8

Ooops! I mean whipped cream. Sorry!

Gingoodies Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 2:31pm
post #4 of 8

Sorry that I didn't get back to you sooner. In my experience, whipped cream does not take color well, You can pipe simple borders with it. I have put buttercream/royal icing flowers on the tops of my cakes, but not the sides. HTH

ohayr639 Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 4:20pm
post #5 of 8

It's okay, no worries. If she wants whipped cream icing what would be a good recipe? She described it as something light and fluffy and I feel like I know what she is talking about but not sure if I know the recipe. . . Wilton calls one "Stabilized Whipped Icing" and I am not sure if that will work. I am planning on practicing this weekend but thought I would just see if anyone had an idea. Thanks so much!

Gingoodies Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 4:39pm
post #6 of 8

My Whipped Cream is just whipping cream, vanilla extract and sugar to taste. I like to use whipping cream with at least a 36% butterfat content. I don't know where you are but my Sam's club sells Byrne Dairy brand and it is great. The worst I have ever used is Tuscan, it does not hold a whip very well. You can also try the "Whipped Cream Buttercream" recipe. It is listed in the recipe section here on CC. This is a light, fluffy, not too sweet buttercream. This might be a good substitute.

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 4:46pm
post #7 of 8

I just made a cake last weekend with whipped cream icing. It actually was cool whip icing. One container of cool whip, one package of pudding powder (I used jello brand lemon...very light and tasty!). I used gel colouring, and it did take quite a bit, but I ended up with a nice pastel. The only trouble I had was keeping it from sliding down the sides. I mixed a teeny bit of meringue powder in to help stiffen it up. Hope this helps!

ohayr639 Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 5:49pm
post #8 of 8

Those are great ideas! Thanks so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%