I Did My First Fondant Covered Cake!

Decorating By agentdorkfish Updated 10 Aug 2009 , 9:56pm by miny

agentdorkfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agentdorkfish Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 1:36am
post #1 of 15

That's right ladies and gentlemen. I finally gave it a try. It wasn't half bad, but it wasn't all that great either. I couldn't get the sides smooth enough. And it was a square cake, so I couldn't get the corners to cooperate. There were several creases. Any advice?

14 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 1:38am
post #2 of 15

Squares are harder to cover than rounds.

Here's a tutorial that a CC member made

" rel="nofollow">

agentdorkfish Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 2:01am
post #3 of 15

Ok, I decided to be brave and upload a picture for you guys to see. I'm pretty ashamed because it will be surrounded by such amazing works of art, but I'm a rookie and there's only one way to learn to be better: Practice and listen to great advice.

And thanks for the link! I'm going to watch it as soon as my dumb dial-up decides I can. :p

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 2:09am
post #4 of 15

I couldn't see your fondant cake only your BC work but I'll check back later, sometimes it takes a while to upload a pic

agentdorkfish Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 2:13am
post #5 of 15

I haven't long uploaded it. It shouldn't be too much longer until you can view it. I have to admit, I'm nervous! It's so horribly bad compared to all the other cakes on here!

agentdorkfish Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 4:17pm
post #6 of 15
Wesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wesha Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 5:50pm
post #7 of 15

You did great with your first fondant cake. The key is to practice. I am still not that great at it but I am going to continue to practice as well.

Happy Caking thumbs_up.gif

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 6:08pm
post #8 of 15

It is good for a first try... and this coming for someone who isnt brave enough to attempt it. You are braver than me !

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 6:27pm
post #9 of 15

I would highly recommend sugarshack's Flawless Fondant DVD as well as her Perfecting the art of Butter Cream DVD. You'll be amazed at how much you will learn and what a difference it will make in your finished products. My BC is so much smoother since I've been using her method and my fondant has also improved. Her website is www.sugaredproductions.com

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 6:36pm
post #10 of 15

congrats...i've just checked out your cake and left you a comment. continue to practice. thumbs_up.gif

miny Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 6:52pm
post #11 of 15

I could see it, I I think it's a good work for a first try.... Now here's my tips (I'm not a pro, but this really helps) level all your cakes, frost and refrigerate so your BC hardens, this makes the covering process easier, apply the fondant in an even thickness and try to work fast so it doesn't dry on you and, if you see any bubbles use a thin needle to get the air out and finish with a fondant smoother, you'll see the difference. HTH

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 6:54pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Squares are harder to cover than rounds.

Here's a tutorial that a CC member made

" rel="nofollow">

Thanks for posting that site - very helpful for those of us who are geometrically fondant-challenged.

Good first try! Family is always fun to practice on and square cakes are tough. Maybe you could practice with a few of the smaller squares or enjoy playing with rounds.

rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 8:41pm
post #13 of 15

Hi ladies this is my first reply. i think you did very well for a first time fondant covering icon_smile.gif . as i am in England fondant/sugarpaste is the main cake covering i use and so have a fair amount of experience with it. to save some money instead of using a special fondant smoother just use an egg sized ball of fondant in your hand and rub the cake with it. you should get a smoth and shiny cake surface. also as said before allow the Buttercream crumb coat to set a little before covering. when covering a square cake always roll out one and half times the size of the cake this makes it easier to get neat corners.

HTH and sorry i rambled

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 9:29pm
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrummymummy

Hi ladies this is my first reply. i think you did very well for a first time fondant covering icon_smile.gif . as i am in England fondant/sugarpaste is the main cake covering i use and so have a fair amount of experience with it. to save some money instead of using a special fondant smoother just use an egg sized ball of fondant in your hand and rub the cake with it. you should get a smoth and shiny cake surface. also as said before allow the Buttercream crumb coat to set a little before covering. when covering a square cake always roll out one and half times the size of the cake this makes it easier to get neat corners.

HTH and sorry i rambled

using an egg sized ball of fondant... icon_confused.gif does this really work? i would think it would make a dent in the fondant. sure wish you could post a picture of this technique. icon_lol.gif

miny Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 9:56pm
post #15 of 15

Wow, a ball of fondant to smooth?!!! Never thought of it, can you post some of your pictures so we can get an idea? Sounds really neat!
And welcome to the forums scrummy, looks like you have some valuable information and tips to share

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%