Tips For A Job Preview?

Lounge By adree313 Updated 11 Aug 2009 , 9:58pm by AverageMom

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 1:30am
post #1 of 10

i'm probably jinxing myself by asking this, but i'm super nervous and just want to be prepared...
i applied for a job at lane bryant on friday and i had my interview last night. this is my first REAL job prospect ever. the most work experience i have is caring for 5 children for the summer. yes, i'm very late in entering the job world, but i was never pushed as a teen to get a job to pay for anything. my parents spoiled me horribly (and please, i'm not proud of it. and i think it worked against me in the long run.)
anyways, i have a job preview tomorrow where i'll be showed the ropes and then set out on my own to work with customers. it's only supposed to be an hour long, but i'm super nervous. i have a really bad anxiety problem and the manager expects big things from me (my friend works there and highly referred me to him). does anybody have any tips/suggestions for me?? ANYTHING would be greatly appreciated! thanks in advance!

(i also have "insider" information that he was quite nervous with the fact that i was somewhat quite during our interview, when he knows for a fact that i'm quite bubbly in my actual life (thanks to my friend who works there). the problem is, yes i AM bubbly... when i'm super comfortable. but i just met the guy and i'm super nervous about the prospect of my first real, grown up job! so tips on how to relax would be great, too!)

9 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 1:42am
post #2 of 10

Just don't worry too much...any little mistakes you make, you'll be able to say "Oh, I'm sorry, it's my first day here!" Smile at the customers, be friendly, don't be afraid to ask a coworker if you don't know the answer to something, and just try to have fun.

Oh, and most of my friends who've worked at Lane Bryant end up spending most of what they make on the clothes there icon_biggrin.gif

adree313 Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 6:17pm
post #3 of 10

thank you for the advice! anyone else?? i leave in an hour to determine my fate! icon_biggrin.gif

Sunflower08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunflower08 Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 6:22pm
post #4 of 10

Just be yourself and remain calm... icon_smile.gif You will do fine!

adree313 Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 10:59pm
post #5 of 10

i got the job! icon_biggrin.gif

Sunflower08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunflower08 Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 2:19am
post #6 of 10

Congrats!

adree313 Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 4:09am
post #7 of 10

thank you icon_smile.gif

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 7:32pm
post #8 of 10

Dress fashionably, be friendly, keep a smile. Always be polite and patient even if a customer is acting like a jerk.

adree313 Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 7:45pm
post #9 of 10

i got the "dress fashionably" lecture from my manager. he's totally the guy who says "oh honey i WILL tell you when you need to never wear that outfit again!" haha i love him! but he says he doesn't forsee a problem like that with me icon_biggrin.gif

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 9:58pm
post #10 of 10

Speak up. Speak up louder, and with a smile. Look like you know what you are doing, and always be doing something. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%