Rice Krispie Treats?

Decorating By timhenk Updated 11 Aug 2009 , 1:54am by timhenk

timhenk Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 1:08am
post #1 of 8

Have any of you ever used rice krispie treats in your sculpted cakes? If so, do you just use the "normal" recipe, or is there some special recipe that keeps them more pliable and easier to work with? I'm looking to make a 3D ninja cake. Any advice or tips you can give would be appreciated. Thanks!

7 replies
leah_s Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 1:20am
post #2 of 8

I always buy the RKT. I keep several boxes in the pantry. Yesterday I dlivered an Xbox and the controller was made of fondant covered RKT.

cylstrial Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 1:44am
post #3 of 8

I used this recipe today and it worked out pretty well!

At first, it was too marshmellowie and wouldn't hold it's shape. So I just mixed some dry rk's in and it worked out fine. I was able to sculpt with it. The other tip is to use butter on your hands, so that the RKT's won't stick to your hands.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7518-Rice-Krispies-Treats---RKT.html

Cake_Princess Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 2:40am
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by timhenk

Have any of you ever used rice krispie treats in your sculpted cakes? If so, do you just use the "normal" recipe, or is there some special recipe that keeps them more pliable and easier to work with? I'm looking to make a 3D ninja cake. Any advice or tips you can give would be appreciated. Thanks!

I use the Rice Krispies Treats recipe that's on the kellogg's site. I use it without making any modifications. Rub shortening on your hands or anything you are using to mold with. That will prevent them from sticking to your hands. Also, mold your work while still warm. This will make it easier to work with.

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 4:39am
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

I always buy the RKT. I keep several boxes in the pantry. Yesterday I dlivered an Xbox and the controller was made of fondant covered RKT.

I made one of these, too! I made the controller from pre-made (boxed) RKT and covered it with white fondant. It was my first attempt as sculpting. I know I need to work on the technique, but it turned out not too bad. (The cake was an ordinary chocolate square - what he wanted.) It's in my photo album.

Rylan Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 7:49am
post #6 of 8

I use ready made ones. I need to find those in super bulk.

kyhendry Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 3:38pm
post #7 of 8

timhenk - I've used RKT a lot for sculptures and figures. One suggestion that I found on CC that I love is to crush up your rice krispies before mixing them into the marshmallows and you'll get a smoother texture on your figures.

timhenk Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 1:54am
post #8 of 8

Thanks for all the advice!!! I love the idea of crushing the rice krispies first. I'll take all your advice and let you know how it goes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%