Cat Litter ... Is Yours Any Good?

Lounge By LittleLinda Updated 12 Aug 2009 , 7:53pm by LittleLinda

LittleLinda Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 11:01pm
post #1 of 16

Do you use one which clumps tightly and holds while scooping them out? My cat Mr. Mackey pees a river at a time! Then he's got to kick it around a little bit. When I scoop, the clumps break up into small pieces that make it very hard to sift.

15 replies
redpanda Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 2:48am
post #2 of 16

Ours seems to work well. We bought a bucket at PetCo (or maybe Petsmart), and refill the bucket there. It is Pet Gold brand. My big gray baby likes to dig and dig and dig, so pretty much anything that doesn't clump well would be a problem.

StarbucksAddict Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 3:37am
post #3 of 16

Just as a concern, if he's peeing a river, it wouldn't be a bad thing to get his blood sugar and kidneys checked.

(Sorry, I've dealt with chronic renal failure and diabetes, and the only thing that tipped me off was the amount of urine being produced was a lot).

ceshell Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 5:40am
post #4 of 16

World's Best Cat Litter really is the Best! It is so great and traps the smell in so well, my cat actually normally refuses to use it. When I scoop, I always have to leave a clump behind so that there's an aroma left in the box. icon_eek.gif! I only have one cat but I use the "multiple cat" formula.

I used to use the PetGold and agree that that stuff clumps up rock hard. I also liked that the litter wasn't too "fine" so it didn't track as much as other brands.

But I still prefer WBCL. Another plus: WBCL is FLUSHABLE!! Woohoo! You do have to break up the clumps before flushing (I just use my scooper) but it is so nice to not have to deal with throwing that stuff out. Although it's easy to break up, I find that my cat does NOT ever manage to break it apart in the box.

adonisthegreek1 Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 7:38pm
post #5 of 16

I like Tidy Cat clay cat litter. It is a non clumping litter. It seems to stay in the litter box better. I also used a covered litter box and you can never tell that I have a kitten.

TheCakerator Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 9:28pm
post #6 of 16

we use the tidy cat multiple cat household type. Whatever it's called. But seriously, if your cat is peeing a river, you should get him checked out. We took our cat in for her rabies shot three months ago, mentioned she was peeing a lot more then normal, and voila, we now have a diabetic cat.

costumeczar Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 9:51pm
post #7 of 16

Ditto on the tidy cat litter and the vet appointment. Cats have the ability to concentrate their urine, so when they start peeing a large amount there's probably something going on. Mine had kidney disease...

AverageMom Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 10:00pm
post #8 of 16

I have no idea.....I make Hubby deal with the cat litter!!

LittleLinda Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 10:16pm
post #9 of 16

If it makes a difference, my cat also drinks quite a lot of water and all of his other behaviors are as normal as always. What special care do you do for a diabetic cat? Special cat food? My SIL has a diabetic dog that they give insulin shots to.
I'll have him checked, but I'm curious what to expect.

TheCakerator Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 11:14pm
post #10 of 16

our cats have always drank a good bit of water, but never out of a bowl, always out of my husbands bathroom faucet that we left running for them. However, mocha, our diabetic, started to drink out of the main bathroom faucet, and while we didn't leave that one running all the time (hard water stains) it seemed like we were ALWAYS turning on the water for her. But then we stopped and though, well, are we always turning it on for her, or is she drinking the same amount, but we just notice it more since we have to turn it on for her, instead of just letting it run? Well once we took her to the vet, and they did a sugar test on her, it came back saying she was diabetic. Much to our dismay the vet really didn't steer us in the right direction. But we found an online site that has helped out us tremendously with information. We switched her from dry food to all wet food, since that contains about 98% of a cats daily water need. That stopped her extensive water drinking from the sink, actually, she never drinks out of the faucets anymore. Now we give her two insulin shots a day and I home test her sugar levels with a human glucomter several times a day. While she's only been getting these shots for just over three months we have done so much research and learned so much, we would do it different if we ever had to do it over again with a new kitten.

mis Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 1:31am
post #11 of 16

I use Tidy Cat's also for multiple cats. I used this for awhile, then switch to a clumping kind because my cat wasn't cleaning her butt and got infected.

The clumping litter to me made my house smell some days, even when it was cleaned out and she would kick more litter out with the clumping kind than the regular clay kind. I also have a covered cat pan. So we went back to Tidy cat's.

LittleLinda Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 12:05pm
post #12 of 16

Has anybody tried those blue crystals that are supposed to last a month? You scoop out the poop and rake around the crystals to make the pee disappear (well not disappear; but I know you leave the pee in there and rake the crystals.)

Kayakado Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 2:42pm
post #13 of 16

I use the clumping stuff for small spaces, I think it is tidy cat. It has a lot less dust than the other tidy cat for multiple and I HATE to dust. They also like it better because the particles are rounded, I guess it feels better on their feet. I also scoop once or twice a day, so that way I get the clumps before they dig it up and break the clump.

With some of the Sams Club litter, I had problems with dust and it would clump in their toes. I ended up having to check and wash their feet.

DianeLM Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 2:55pm
post #14 of 16

I use Dr. Elzey's Precious Cat. I've only been able to find it at PetsMart.

I have 5 cats (6 til Rocky was called to the big litter pan in the sky), 5 litter boxes and also foster cats for the Humane Society (more boxes for them!).

Dr. Elzey's is a clumping litter with VERY little dust. Clumps so well, I had to replace my wimpy plastic scoopers with heavy steel (at $15 per scooper!).

That said, I also have cats who do not know how to the use the litter box, which is why I had to get rid of the electric self-cleaning type of box.

Claude does precisely what Mr. Mackey does .... mkay? icon_wink.gif On top of that, he digs until he hits the bottom of the box and pees right on the box. (That's why the electric thing wouldn't work!) So, there's no litter to absorb and whatever does hit the litter is spread all over the place rather than clumped neatly. I swear he thinks he's a sprinkler!

No litter in the world will work with that kind of mess. I just have to change his box more often.

costumeczar Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 5:20pm
post #15 of 16

I tried those blue crystals once and they smell terrible really fast. Like the monkey house at the zoo!!!

Drinking a lot of water and peeing a lot can be signs of diabetes and kidney disease. Take your cat to the vet and have it checked out, because the treatments for both tend to conflict on some things. The heavy urination makes them dehydrated with both diseases, so they drink a ton of water.

I had two cats, both 14+ years old, and one of them started acting like she was diabetic, or so I thought. We changed her diet to a high-protein diet, so they were both eating the same thing, and the sick one seemed like she was getting better. After a while it didn't seem to be helping, so we took her to the vet and they said it was kidney disease, not diabetes. High protein is bad for kidney disease, so we made some more changes, and the other one ate that food too.

With both eating the kidney food diet, we didn't even notice that the non-sick one was sick until she went into kidney failure. She was fine one day and two days later we were having to have her put down. Meanwhile, the sick one lived another 8 months after the "non-sick" one died. They had both lost weight, but we figured that was because of the changes in their food. The only other symptom was that the "healthy" one had started howling/meowing in the middle of the night, which I later found out is a symptom of kidney disease.

Long story short, get it checked out by the vet. I think that the high protein food we gave them when we thought we were dealing with diabetes might have hurried the "healthy" cat's disease along. If your cat is diabetic they'll have to treat it one way, and if it's kidney disease it's a different treatment. You can't necessarily tell what it is just because thy're drinking a lot of water.

LittleLinda Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 7:53pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

I use Dr. Elzey's Precious Cat. I've only been able to find it at PetsMart.
...Rocky was called to the big litter pan in the sky
...Mr. Mackey .... mkay? icon_wink.gif

DianeLM, I'll check out Dr. Elzey's at PetSmart.
Sorry for Rocky.
Yes, Mr. Mackey is named after the South Park character who says "mkay" (very smart thinking on your part.)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%