Storage Of Royal Icing And Fondant

Decorating By babycakes1 Updated 10 Aug 2009 , 1:58am by cylstrial

babycakes1 Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 10:21pm
post #1 of 7

Can someone please tell me how to properly store royal icing and fondant. I'm just a beginner and the basic classes that I took are such a blur. Do they need to be refrigerated or can it stay room temperature? Is it best to use saran wrap along with airtight containers? Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

6 replies
cylstrial Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 12:11am
post #2 of 7

You store both of them at room temperature.

For the RI, you are just going to put it in a tupperware bin and then put saran wrap on it. Actually push the saran wrap into the icing and make sure that it is sealed up really well (especially around the edges). Then just put the lid on and keep it at room temperature. It will keep for 3-4 weeks.

For fondant, rub crisco all over it. Then saran wrap it, ziplock bag it, put it in a tupperware bin and close the lid. Keep it at room temp.

Hope this helps.

PinkZiab Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 12:12am
post #3 of 7

I actually store my royal in the fridge in a plastic container (I use re-purposed satin ice buckets--the small one for this).

babycakes1 Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 12:21am
post #4 of 7

Wow - thanks so much! You guys are a gift from heaven!

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 12:27am
post #5 of 7

One thing I remember my instructor telling me - if you're using plasticware to store RI, make sure it has never come into contact with grease of any kind. In other words, either buy brand new plasticware, or buy a glass bowl with a plastic lid from the dollar store. The minute RI comes into contact with grease, it isn't RI anymore. And even if you've washed and washed it, plastic always retains some of the grease of any food placed into it.

I bought some pasticeware from Walmart (with screw tight lids) and labelled all of them 'Royal Icing Only' so my DH wouldn't think he could store leftover spaghetti in them.

HTH.

babycakes1 Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 12:32am
post #6 of 7

LOL - I think that's a great idea! How do you know if RI isn't RI anymore?

cylstrial Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 1:58am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CutiePieCakes-Ontario

I bought some pasticeware from Walmart (with screw tight lids) and labelled all of them 'Royal Icing Only' so my DH wouldn't think he could store leftover spaghetti in them.

HTH.

Too funny!! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%