What's Happening To Garden Ridge Stores?

Decorating By southaustingirl Updated 16 Aug 2009 , 7:02pm by PuffCake

southaustingirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southaustingirl Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 8:52pm
post #1 of 20

For those of you that have Garden Ridge stores in your area, have you noticed changes in the items being stocked? Here in Austin, it seems like the Garden Ridge has turned into a bigger version of a dollar store! They are selling discounted books, scrubs, purses and other clothing. They have done away with lots of other items like party supplies and craft supplies.

Just wondering if this is a Texas thing.

19 replies
rnt96 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rnt96 Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 1:02am
post #2 of 20

You're not alone, I went to my Garden Ridge today here in Atlanta and it was practically empty. I am so disppointed as to how they have changed.

Marina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marina Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 2:17am
post #3 of 20

It was such a disappointment the last time i went there that I haven't gone back! It seems like they did away with the crafts. icon_mad.gif Never going back!

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 2:23am
post #4 of 20

I don't have garden ridge here in NJ, but whenever I visit my aunt in Houston it is one of my must-do stops! I'm so disappointed to hear that they're messing with what they had--I loved that store!

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 2:29am
post #5 of 20

thumbsdown.gif I have noticed the changes as well. Garden Ridge used to be one of my fav places to go but not any longer. I'm with ya! It has changed a LOT and is very disappointing compared to what it used to be.

s_barnes76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
s_barnes76 Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 3:27am
post #6 of 20

The one in Memphis is doing it, too. It's definitely not the same store it once was. On the other hand, I did buy several great cookbooks and a couple of cheap sundresses to wear around the house icon_biggrin.gif

southaustingirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southaustingirl Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 1:04pm
post #7 of 20

So now I go to Garden Ridge to buy discounted paperbacks and cookbooks.

I am anxious to see what they have in terms of Christmas decorations. I noticed that Halloween and Fall decorations were in the store by my house.

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 1:05pm
post #8 of 20

You have got to be kidding me. Hallowe'en decorations on display before August is even half over? Crap like that should be outlawed.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 1:08pm
post #9 of 20

Hobby Lobby has their Christmas trees up already icon_biggrin.gif

I've been wanting to go to Garden Ridge for a while. But the one that has a lot is too big for me to walk through (still can't walk too far on the leg I broke in Feb.) and the other one is in a part of town that my husband always makes excuses not to go to.

I've been thinking though that Garden Ridge used to have a lot of cake decorating stuff. Did they? or am I imagining it? The last time I was at Garden Ridge was before I got into the whole cake thing.

tararenee29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tararenee29 Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 1:28pm
post #10 of 20

I work for Micheal's and we also have halloween stuff out now. But think about it if we put it out in October it would be to late for customers to buy it and decorate with, same for the following holidays. We had a garden ridge in Richmond but it turned so crappy it closed.

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 1:30pm
post #11 of 20

sick, sick, sick.

What's wrong with a month ahead of time? Do folks really decorate their homes five months before X-mas?

I might have to barf.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 1:42pm
post #12 of 20

LOL, Mensch...some of why the craft stores get the stuff early is so that you can make things out of it...for example I was bored one year and I bought glass balls and glued rhinestones all over them in different designs. I started in September and had 20 of them by Christmas. And then my daughter climbed the Christmas tree and I had 8.

I'll admit when stores start playing their Christmas music in early November, it's enough to make me want to barf.

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 1:46pm
post #13 of 20

I agree about Garden Ridge... I don't think I will go back again. I was there a month ago and the stuff they are carrying is crap. Looked like a garage sale to me. They still have some stuff but have gotten rid of a lot of their silk flowers, party supplies, etc.... YUCK YUCK YUCK!!

Jeannem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannem Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 11:04pm
post #14 of 20

My sisters will be disappointed--we've even taken a road trip from Minnesota to St.Louis just to go to Garden Ridge!! Six women in a van for 400+ miles--never laughed so hard in my whole life!!

Kitcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitcake Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 11:28pm
post #15 of 20

It's the same thing here in Florida. I spoke with the Garden Ridge Manager she said that the store is going in a "New Direction" they have become a Discount housewares store. icon_cry.gif

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 4:02am
post #16 of 20

I read this thread with some concern, because Garden Ridge used to be one of my favorite guilty pleasures. I did some research on the internet and found this message board, which seems to indicate that things are bad and getting worse at Garden Ridges. What a pity. icon_sad.gif

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/little-rock-ar/T2EBKMVNA8FQCT1CD/p3

yamber82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamber82 Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 4:32am
post #17 of 20

lol! sorry i juste saw this thread and had to share this... a friend of mine's grandpa always gets confused over the name of garden ridge pottery. he calls it "hodge podge rittery", lol! that being said with a heavy southern accent icon_wink.gif

Luvsthedogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luvsthedogs Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 12:37pm
post #18 of 20

Same experience here in Columbus, OH. Sounds like they're doomed.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 4:15pm
post #19 of 20

I taught at Garden Ridge for a couple of years before they fired all of the instructors and removed the classrooms to expand their floral departments. I hadn't been back in a long, long time but headed over there a couple of months ago to buy luau-themed party stuff for my parents' 40th anniversary party. I was SHOCKED at how much it had changed. They didn't have a single thing I needed except some hibiscus garland and tiki torches. Garden Ridge used to have so much great party stuff. UGH

Now I definitely have no reason to go back.

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 7:02pm
post #20 of 20

I noticed this too just a couple of weeks ago. I loved the kitchen section and party supplies. I won't be going back either. I wouldn't be surprised if they go out of business soon.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%