Cc Critique My Cake(Positive Info&constructive Criticism

Decorating By glendaleAZ Updated 12 Aug 2009 , 2:06am by glendaleAZ

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 7:13pm
post #1 of 16

Its difficult for GSM to know how much information we want to see when they place a comment on our cake. So, Im starting this thread for those of us that would like to see detailed information on what ccers think we did right and some helpful hints on what we could have done better. If everything goes well, by posting our cake pics here, we will get the information we need to become better decorators.

We are looking for comments, such as:

You did a great job on your roses, but your fondant has the dreaded cake bulge. Try using a stiffer dam next time or check to be sure your dowels arent to short.

Your fondant looks really smooth, but the cake looks a little crooked. Try using a leveler next time to get a straighter stacked cake.

IMPORTANT
If you post your cakes in this thread you are asking for someone to tell you what they really think about your cake, not in a mean way of course, but you might be told something about your cake that could hurts your feelings, so be warned.

Okay, Ive put my armor on and would like some honest feedback on this cake.

Thank you all in advance,
Tammy

Edited to add: Hand painted on fondant. Silk flowers. Sorry about the box being in the picture.
LL

15 replies
xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 7:17pm
post #2 of 16

Hi Tammy.

If you'd your more than welcome to join the CSM group. You'll find us in the Gallery Supporters Forum. The thread title is "Critique Sub Members Group***New Thread As Of March 30, 2009". Just read the 1st page so you know how we do our critiquing and feel free to include any of the links to the cakes you want critiqued.

charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 10:22pm
post #3 of 16

I know you are looking for critics on your cake, the only thing that I could say would be maybe the flowers on top are a little big for the cake. This may just be the picture too, not sure. I think your fondant work is great!! and I like your hand painting too.

MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 3:53am
post #4 of 16

Personally I feel that not dressing up the cake drum really takes away from the cake. Covering the cake drum in complimenting design/colors really enhances the design, elegance and beauty of the cake.

That said, your cake is beautiful, however, I agree about the flowers being to big and "drowning" out the cake

tiggerjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggerjo Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 2:18pm
post #5 of 16

Smaller flowers, hand painting is great and your fondant looks good. IMO, very nice cake. thumbs_up.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 2:32pm
post #6 of 16

I think silk flowers can look great, but only when it's blooms,as the plastic stem usually looks like...plastic.

lopsidedTurntable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lopsidedTurntable Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 2:33pm
post #7 of 16

I like the artfulness. I like the colors. I like the sprinkling of different little things on the cake, juxtaposed with the large dotted flowers. It gives you a lot to think about--a well read cake--enjoyable, interesting.

I think the cake is too small to have one flower looking the other way--I think all the flowers should be looking at me. There's one turned to the back view.

If it was a tier cake, sure make it 360 degree view but it looks like a free standing cake.

The angle of the photo makes the depth of floral arrangement undetectable.

Hope the perfect red ribbon is edible.

Awesome flowers.

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 2:59pm
post #8 of 16

I would like to see the handpainting close up - It looks stunning! To me, the plastic stems of the floral arrangement and size of the flowers detract. It just misses being elegant, know what I mean?

SaraClassic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraClassic Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 3:05pm
post #9 of 16

Im also a part of the CSM group, if your looking for that honest critique on all your cakes feel free to join and post them there!
I love the cake design, I think the handpainting would be great a bit bigger and up the side possibly, the top seems a bit bare with the one small bud.

NYCGiGi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NYCGiGi Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 3:16pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstitcher

Hi Tammy.

If you'd your more than welcome to join the CSM group. You'll find us in the Gallery Supporters Forum. The thread title is "Critique Sub Members Group***New Thread As Of March 30, 2009". Just read the 1st page so you know how we do our critiquing and feel free to include any of the links to the cakes you want critiqued.

I'M HAVING TROUBLE FINDING THIS GROUP? DO I GO INTO THE "FORUMS" TAB OR THE "GALLERIES" TAB. THANKS IN ADVANCE!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 3:19pm
post #11 of 16

I think the hanpainting is just perfect. I will say about ribbons and boards, I only cover the boards and use fondant ribbon when the bride pays for it. So that is kind of out of my control. Usually they want other details more than covering a board or they don't have the budget..

As for silk flowers..If the person brings them to me, I will put them, but they are not my favorite. I prefer gumpaste. I agree that the stem needs to be hidden..

I got to say, with such beautiful hand painting job, you only needed maybe a small flower detail..

Edna icon_smile.gif

lopsidedTurntable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lopsidedTurntable Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 3:19pm
post #12 of 16

You didn't make the flowers?

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 3:31pm
post #13 of 16

I think your cake looks beautiful, I really like it, but I agree the flower overpowers your cake.

aundron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundron Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 3:40pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGiGi

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstitcher

Hi Tammy.

I'M HAVING TROUBLE FINDING THIS GROUP? DO I GO INTO THE "FORUMS" TAB OR THE "GALLERIES" TAB. THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Hey NYC; in order to be in the Critique Group, you have to be a Gallery Supporter Member. In order to do that, you have to have 100 posts. Once you get your 100 posts, just find any gallery members post, click on the link under that members name which says "Gallery Member Supporter" and you just go from there. HTH icon_smile.gif

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 3:47pm
post #15 of 16

This cake reminds me of one from a book but I can't quite place it.

I like the cake overall but not the orchids on it. It creates a much to much cake for me. The painting is excellent and the fondant looks great. I believe it to be a satin ribbon and it looks like it has been placed great. I hate to see the ribbong all wavy and gapping from the cake.

I did not know about the CSM forum thread and will look myself for that. I like the idea of posting a picture to get better input to hone my skills to become a better decorator. Thanks for the idea and directions to the thread!

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 2:06am
post #16 of 16

Thank you all for your ideas. This was exactly the type of feedback I was looking for when I posted my cake. You've given me a lot to think about.

I was hoping that others would follow my lead and post there pics for the same reason. Oh well, maybe I didn't word my Subject Line or my original post correctly. Thanks for letting me know about CSM.

jlynnw -- the cake design book is Spectacular Cakes, by Mich Turner. I've made a couple her cakes, but only in smaller versions.

Thank you,
Tammy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%