Wedding Cancelled

Decorating By jo_ann Updated 10 Aug 2009 , 3:45am by dawncr

jo_ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo_ann Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 6:41pm
post #1 of 19

I feel so bad for this bride. The wedding was planned for August 15th, they seemed so in love, but the groom canceled the wedding yesterday. Come to find out he has been seeing someone else, so today and tomorrow she's trying to get ahold of all the vendors to cancel everything.

Unfortunately, due to my contract there will be no refund for the cake. I felt so bad for her that I did tell her that we would put the money (minus the $100.00 initial deposit) on a credit for her. She can use it for any occasion cake/s she might have coming up.

I have never ever had a wedding cancel and her design was so beautiful.

Jo-Ann

18 replies
LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 7:03pm
post #2 of 19

Oh, I feel so bad for her. But looking for the silver lining, its better for it to end now, then enter in an unfaithful marriage.

jo_ann Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 7:17pm
post #3 of 19

I know, it's better she finds out now instead of later.

He seemed so in love with her, he came with her everytime, they were planning the fairytale wedding. She is so devastated, I so feel for her.

alidpayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alidpayne Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 7:49pm
post #4 of 19

I have no idea what I would say to her in that situation. I can only imagine. I am devastated right now that my first wedding cake couple are getting divorced (married less than a year, my avatar cake). I would have given her a credit too (or maybe a refund, who knows, I'm a softy).

jo_ann Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 7:59pm
post #5 of 19

I do feel really bad for her, but I am still running a business.

I considered it for a minute, but my contract states no refund within 2 weeks before the date. I did turn down another wedding and 2 party cakes for this wedding, so technically if I refunded her then I would lose money on this. I am willing to make her cake(s) in the future, so technically this coming weekend will still be a loss. As bad as I feel, this is the best I feel I can do.

Jo-Ann

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 8:09pm
post #6 of 19

Your act of kindness will bring you a harvest sometime in the future. Don't fret iticon_smile.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 8:23pm
post #7 of 19

Oh no, don't change your policy. Its not your fault that she is out on a cake. Like you said, the deposits are what hold the date, so you don't loose out by not contracting with other customers. And just too add, I knew someone who left his' ex-girlfriend's house the morning of his wedding day. The problems they have had are very unfortunate for the bride.

alidpayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alidpayne Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 8:28pm
post #8 of 19

Oh I didnt mean you should have given her a refund! I think it was super generous of you to even offer to give her credit. Please don't think I was taking you to task for that. I just meant that I am TOO MUCH of a softy, and would probably have shot myself in the foot and refunded it (or given her the store credit).

jo_ann Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 8:32pm
post #9 of 19

Kakeladi, thank you.

LaBellaflor, No I won't be changing my policy. I can't, it's there to protect the bride as well as me.

alidpayne, no I did not think you were taking me to task. I think I was just reminding myself of why I have a contract. Your post was not taken that way at all. I just feel horrible for her.

Jo-Ann

maisyone2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisyone2 Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 8:38pm
post #10 of 19

I had the same thing happen in May. Only, with my cake order, I got a call at 11:30 the MORNING of the wedding. The call came from the bride's sister. I was in the middle of doing the cake. They didn't want any of the cake already done. And they understood that they were out the money. Very sad situation. But, I have heard through the grapevine that they are still together and doing fine. The groom just felt very rushed into the situation. She wasn't pregnant, just really wanted to get married.

You just never know......

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 9:34pm
post #11 of 19

I was watching Ace of Cakes the other day where a bride cancelled the wedding and Mary Alice said when the bride was ready they'd make her a "congratulations for not marrying an a**hole cake" icon_wink.gif

I know that she's out a bunch of money, but its much better than walking down the aisle and realizing later that she married a slimeball.

jonahsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonahsmom Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 10:12pm
post #12 of 19

OMG, I love the congrats for not marrying a d-bag cake idea! I'm gonna have to remember that.....you know, for the alternate universe where I actually HAVE a bakery that is all my own!!!!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 10:15pm
post #13 of 19

Oh I had one cancel awhile back, and I was so relieved for the girl. I even told her. She looked quite grateful!

marknelliesmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknelliesmum Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 10:41pm
post #14 of 19

Poor girl and poor you how awful! Hopefully one day she will look back and see she only lost some money on a cake (i'm sure it would have been spectacular) but that she didn't pay with her self respect and dignity by marrying this guy - his loss, especially since he will miss out on your cake! thumbs_up.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 12:26am
post #15 of 19

Well that was really nice of you to do that for her. I feel bad for her with such last minute notice, but really she is far better off that he told her now...then when they were married.

jo_ann Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 1:48am
post #16 of 19

Thanks everyone. She's going to stop by sometime this week to pick up the toppers she left with me. I'm going to make up a certificate for her to use for the future cake(s).

She is better off finding out now instead of later and I'm sure after the initial shock and hurt fade she'll realize that. My heart goes out to her, she's such a sweet woman.

And yes I said toppers, they were getting a castle cake. One side was going to be 3 tiers , the other side 2 tiers. Each cake was going to have towers on top that lit up. They were going to have a brick impression. The center was going to be a 2" high styrofoam layer with a stone impression on it to mimic a courtyard. It was going to be carved out on 2 sides so that the other 2 cakes would sit flush to it and a fountain would sit on this tier flowing with pink water. All of it was going to have a white/pink disco dust on it.
She also had a ceramic castle topper that she wanted me to sit somewhere on the table and a princess kissing a frog.
icon_confused.gif The ex groom actually made a comment about the frog being so small.

Jo-Ann

lthiele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lthiele Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 1:56am
post #17 of 19

The cake wont be the only thing she is out on!!!!! I would be sending him an invoice for ALL the things I had already paid for - let him be the one out of pocket - dirty slime bag!

Offering her a credit was a lovely thing to do under the circumstances. Maybe when she's ready to see the bright side, you could suggest a cartoon version of his head for the cake and she can send him a pic of her cutting it in half! lol icon_twisted.gif

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 2:12am
post #18 of 19

I feel so bad for the bride. I know how it feels to have someone steal someone you love. The only difference was that the person who took my first love was a friend of mine during my college years.

In time her heart will heal....mine did. Its good she didn't marry him because God only knows what might have gone down if she had. Like the man I loved...he probably wasn't worth her time of day. Thats how I look at it.

I like Ithiele's idea thumbs_up.gif

dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawncr Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 3:45am
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefyGravity

I was watching Ace of Cakes the other day where a bride cancelled the wedding and Mary Alice said when the bride was ready they'd make her a "congratulations for not marrying an a**hole cake" icon_wink.gif

I love Mary Alice! I seriously think the thing Duff is most brilliant at is hiring talented, funny artists.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%